Antron 99 use washers or not?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Master Virus
Regular
Regular

Antron 99 use washers or not?

Post by Master Virus »

Bought an Antron 99 to get me up and running and i was wondering if the washers were left out would it cause high swr or is this an old wives tale?
I'm also going to waterproof the antenna.
Dave C
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 27PL259

Re: Antron 99 use washers or not?

Post by Dave C »

I'm also about to erect an Antron 99 and would like to hear the response on this one too... presumably by not fitting the washers the antenna is being shortened ever so slightly (4-6 mm).

TIA Dave
Life is like a box of chocolates.... Usually empty when I get there.... :crazy:

Rigs: Major M588 AM FM SSB (Std), President Grant II Premium (Std), Midland Alan 78 Plus (Std), Lowe TX 40 (Std).

Twigs: Antron 99 (Std), K40 Mag, Firestick 4', Cherokee Dial A Match 4', Sirio 1000 PL Mag.
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

What is achieved by not installing the them?
Can't help but love an Adams.

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

They're anti-vibration to stop thecsections coming loose. There was a topic not long ago that went into it quite a bit if you want to search for it.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

They're anti-vibration to stop the sections coming loose. There was a topic not long ago that went into it quite a bit if you want to search for it.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Theres an echo in here :D
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Crackle
Regular
Regular

Post by Crackle »

If they are anything like the Solacon Imax then the washers are rubbish steel that will rust and could cause issues later.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Pardon....pardon...par

I pressed send on the first one, but before it "went" I amended a typo. It must've already gone through but not shown up as having gone as it was still on my phone's screen.
Dave C
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 27PL259

Post by Dave C »

My Antron didn't come with washers as it was from FleaBay, so I managed to get hold of some high spec galv ones, still not put it up yet!

That's a job for another day... managing with the mobile Sirio on the Merc or Van at the moment, and having some great results when square wheeled in South Cheshire in the middle of a very open field.
Life is like a box of chocolates.... Usually empty when I get there.... :crazy:

Rigs: Major M588 AM FM SSB (Std), President Grant II Premium (Std), Midland Alan 78 Plus (Std), Lowe TX 40 (Std).

Twigs: Antron 99 (Std), K40 Mag, Firestick 4', Cherokee Dial A Match 4', Sirio 1000 PL Mag.
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

I put mine up again for a stint yesterday.
I didn't use the washers, never have, easier to assemble and disassemble, never had any issues.

Maybe if it was a fit and forget for 20 years install I'd use them.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

Yup here too both antron and imax .If I'm honest the imax washers were real crap rusted to bits.
Seems to make no difference I could see at all.
Strange because it's altering length if only about 4mm .
I did wonder about using a ptfe of rubber washer wondering if transferring all the energy through the threaded centre coupler only but I really have no idea as I'm not technical.
But then the coupler pieces either side of the joint as still just as big.

Far more important aspects to concentrate on setting the antron imax up for long service.loads of self amalg tapes and dielectric grease.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

If you assemble the aerial on a hot day, the joint could become looser when it gets cold and the metal contracts very very slightly. Due to vibrations from the wind, birds hitting it, meteors striking it etc, the joint could come loose completely and then slowly, start working itself undone. It'd be going against gravity but it's still possible with the right frquency of swaying to and fro, especially if doing a circular motion. Taping the joints will help prevent this from happening a lot, but the washers help even more. The tape could also go brittle and peel off over time.

As an example of a washer's handiness, I've just had to modify a Ryobi Chainsaw/pruner pole cutter that I bought a little while back, because as soon as it suffered any vibration when the chain wasn't at its sharpest, the threaded allen bolt that keeps the chain adjusted correctly tension-wise, worked loose and the chain kept coming off. I added a thin anti-vibe washer (star-type though, not the split ones like on the Imax/Antron as they were just a bit too thick) which has stopped the chain coming loose every 30 bloody seconds when you're up 15ft on ladders cutting down 30ft high and up to 10 inch thick conifer branches ;)
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

Back to the original post.
Look underneath where the connector is. You will see a drain hole. Don't block it with tape or gunk, its there for a reason.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

If you are iust throwing the antenna up on a temporary basis then its not really an issue. If its a permanent install then use them for sure. Some self amalgamating tape pver the joins will help keep them dry too.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |