Imax 2000 10m vertical

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
janluke54
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: M6ZXZ

Imax 2000 10m vertical

Post by janluke54 »

Hi there,
I've been using the Imax 2000 for lots of years for 10/12/15...and 3 out of the 5 I've had that's including the one I'm currently changing have had issues with water in the coax...the one I'm changing now had water dripping out of the SO239 when I took it down this morning so obviously the water is inside the antenna...I will be replacing it with a new one which I have already...my question is...are there any drain holes on an Imax 2000 if so where are they ?
Janluke54
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Imax 2000 10m vertical

Post by wa10 »

small hole right beside the so239 connector, supposed to drain condensation from the base section,
they block up over time, water builds up & rots the coax inside the base tube, my mate had water running out of his westflex coax when his drain hole got blocked,

well sealed externally with amalgamating tape, only way in was from inside the antenna through the so239 & through his pl259,

not all pl259's are equal, cheap ones are universally crap with poor fitted insulators that leak & many people just twist the pl259 on & solder the pin leaving ideal water ingress holes to fill your coax with water,

good idea to drill a couple more holes or make the hole larger before you put them up, & make sure you don't block them with tape or whatever you seal the plug with.
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: Imax 2000 10m vertical

Post by MrWeetabix »

I was in the marked for a new iMax recently and was shocked at how much they cost now! I was buying them for around £100 a few years back, they now seem to be going for upwards of £160! ooooowf

Personally, I have had loads over the years and never had an issues with moisture at all.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |