Discone, double or half!

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Discone, double or half!

Post by Ant »

Many years ago I had a double discone fitted at a reomote station. That building has since undergone some work and many antenna arrays were removed.

Now what I'm left with is this........

....assuming I can straighten out the antenna probes, will this work as a single discone? Or should I just forget it and get a new one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
Ant

Re: Discone, double or half!

Post by Ant »

No discone users?
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

I can't tell from looking, but is it the type where the next stage would have had a ring of horizontal elements, then a selection of different size angled vertical elements?
If so, it looks liek you are left with just the lower ground plane part, and it wont do much at all.
Ant

Post by Ant »

It's a double discone, so that lower array pointing down, would have the same pointing up. Looks like when it was removed from the building, the upper section was removed, then went missing. I can't even remember where I bought it from, I'm best with a new one that's for sure.

Alan Pilot

Post by Alan Pilot »

I have just put this one up and it works brilliantly.(see link)...
Also have the royal discone with the whip on top but not as good.
Mainly listen to marine and air bands.
Ant

Post by Ant »

The link you supplied has the whip on top? Is this not the one you got?

Ant

Post by Ant »

So, looking to replace this antenna soon. I 'think' this may have been a SCANMASTER DD1300.

So, should I go for another one of those then? Or something else?