Antenna Identification help needed please...

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Re: Antenna Identification help needed please...

Post by NightProwler »

I'll have a look for it later, Im sure it's in the shed somewhere.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
PeterA
Call Sign: 26TM2714

Post by PeterA »

Tim wrote: 23 May 2020, 08:28 Perhaps you could post up a couple of pictures of the stand off bracket, would give those of us that have the antenna but not the bracket to see what to look out for.

Couple of pics of mine... :thumbup:

2113.jpg

2114.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WANTED
Galaxy Pluto, 2100, DX88HL, President Ronald (Or Equivalent)
SuperStar 3900 MK1
President Adams
Cobra 148 GTL
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Thats the one. I have one hiding in the shed somewhere.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

If they're standatd 3/8" unf threads, you can use xlmost any mobile aerial in them, includingnin the ground-plane holes. Stick a Modulator in the top and 3 cheapo aerials in the bottoms.

I made my own ground-planes a while back for a K40 aerial that was on a boss, using some aluminium tubing from a DIY store and some car brake fittings! 3 cheapo whips would be easier though ;)
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

No, you can't use a 'standard' 3/8th antenna as the whip and the ground planes have a 1/4 inch thread, that's why so many have fallen by the wayside, not a common fitting and hard to find in that size.

The standoff bracket would be simple to make.
PeterA

Post by PeterA »

The Collector wrote: 23 May 2020, 21:17 If they're standatd 3/8" unf threads, you can use xlmost any mobile aerial in them, includingnin the ground-plane holes. Stick a Modulator in the top and 3 cheapo aerials in the bottoms.
As Tim has said, they aren't 3/8th thread unfortunately...

Wish it was that easy, only way I got the tank whip to fit/work was by modifying the boss...

Still hoping I find the original bits, only other place they could be is in the loft, but sure I saw them in the shed. :crazy:

Or by some miracle a complete one comes up second hand somewhere. :eh:
WANTED
SuperStar 3900 MK1
President Adams
Cobra 148 GTL
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

I was given a Lemm a couple of years ago that was missing the whip and the one that was (now sold) on eBay, as pictured by the OP, would have been the ideal opportunity to acquire that missing whip but weather the price of it would have justified buying it to make mine complete is debateable.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Tim wrote: 23 May 2020, 21:26 No, you can't use a 'standard' 3/8th antenna as the whip and the ground planes have a 1/4 inch thread, that's why so many have fallen by the wayside, not a common fitting and hard to find in that size.

The standoff bracket would be simple to make.
That's a shame...and a bit pants.

The holes for the ground-planes could be drilled out and and re-tapped if there's enough metal around the sides, but the top bit is possibly a more problematic. You'd have to file/grind down the aerial's thread and put a new thread on that. Way too much work for what was a mediocre aerial to start with.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

The ground plane holes , if drilled and tapped out to receive a 3/8" thread would render the walls of the boss too thin and would not survive long, there's not enough 'meat' there, same with the whip fitting, in order to adapt to 3/8" you would have to lathe a stud with 1/4" thread one end and a 3/8" the other end, the thread on the ground plane legs is 10mm deep and the thread count is 8 threads, the 1/4" thread on the whip is the same.
PeterA

Post by PeterA »

Tim wrote: 24 May 2020, 08:04 I was given a Lemm a couple of years ago that was missing the whip and the one that was (now sold) on eBay, as pictured by the OP, would have been the ideal opportunity to acquire that missing whip but weather the price of it would have justified buying it to make mine complete is debateable.

Tim,

It's been a while since I've seen the whip and ground plan legs with my own eyes... but seem to remember them being the exact same item for all four?

Would of paid the ebay price if it was complete... :think:

Worked well with the tank whip on the top in my opinion! :thumbup:

Wanna part with bits you do have? :eh:
WANTED
SuperStar 3900 MK1
President Adams
Cobra 148 GTL
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

I feel that I need to come clean here, as I previously posted in this thread, I have one of these antennas that is missing the top element and having looked at the one minus the ground planes on eBay, I made the considered decision to push the button on it, yes, it was all the money but it makes mine complete, apart from the bracket, but if I can't find a genuine one then to make one would be very easy. I will try it out and see how it performs when it's all together.
PeterA

Post by PeterA »

Tim wrote: 24 May 2020, 18:08 I feel that I need to come clean here, as I previously posted in this thread, I have one of these antennas that is missing the top element and having looked at the one minus the ground planes on eBay, I made the considered decision to push the button on it, yes, it was all the money but it makes mine complete, apart from the bracket, but if I can't find a genuine one then to make one would be very easy. I will try it out and see how it performs when it's all together.
Ah fair enough, no harm in asking. 8)

Once you've tested it in it's original state consider putting a tank whip on it and test it again... easy enough to make an adapter. :thumbup:

You could ask NightProwler about the bracket he said he had... to make yours complete! ;)
Last edited by PeterA on 24 May 2020, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
WANTED
SuperStar 3900 MK1
President Adams
Cobra 148 GTL
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

He knows you reeeaaallly want that bracket, so says he wants £150 for it ;)
PeterA

Post by PeterA »

The Collector wrote: 24 May 2020, 21:00 He knows you reeeaaallly want that bracket, so says he wants £1.50 for it ;)

Corrected the typo for you Mr Collector! :lolno:

:silent:
WANTED
SuperStar 3900 MK1
President Adams
Cobra 148 GTL
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

From the picture of the bracket it would be very simple to make one out of some 20mm x 3mm aluminium flat but I must admit that the original would be the ticket, at the right price of course! ;)