RG58 vs RG213 Coax

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Goffy
Regular
Regular

Re: RG58 vs RG213 Coax

Post by Goffy »

Re Paulears comments about the fragility of sat cable when terminating. I've sourced a 7mm bnc and 7mm N-plug both marketed as being for RG8 mini (hope this is okay) as I figure the least number of adaptors means the least amount of signal loss. They are both compression types and I'm hoping the foam dielectric inner on WF100 means these issues of compression connectors damaging the cable will not arise as it might on air-filled CT100. Fingers crossed anyway. Otherwise I will have to go down the F-connector + adaptors route mentioned by others.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

I've been using CT100 for years both as a hobbyist and in the satellite trade. I've never had any problem with it. The inner core is just as sturdy as other solid-core coaxes and the braid is fine, and of course it is backed up with foil. I've taken many liberties with it re connectors and as long as you use some common sense it seems perfectly reliable. I terminate with 7mm F-connectors and if necessary I adapt from there. There won't be any significant loss if you stick to good quality adaptors.
I've had CT100 (and 125 and WF) running around my rotator for many moons without any breakages.
What you have to watch out for is the cheap fake stuff that often turns up at DIY stores - it really is dreadful.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
FionaJC
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by FionaJC »

Sorry to reawaken a relatively old topic. Hi. I have a drum of URM203 cable which is 75Ohm, a drum of RG58 and a satellite drum of unknown parentage. I want to use this with a Diamond X30 with a 5m run. Imitially Ill be using 10W but my transceiver can go up to 25W. I expect to go up as much as I can on VHF around 145Mhz and UHF 70 cms. Working through the losses it still looks like RG58 is a best choice. Opinions on which cable to use cable please and is it worth buying RG213?
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

If it's only 5 metres then the RG58 should be fine, it's lossy at uhf but OK for short runs.
The perfect face for radio.