AOR AR 3000A

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
hampshire1
Regular
Regular

AOR AR 3000A

Post by hampshire1 »

Hi all, just picked up an AR 3000A. Good condition and working well. Trouble is it’s not got the mains adapter. It was being powered with a cable which has got power pole connectors on. Am I right in thinking that I could cut the power pole off and connect to a ac adapter of the same voltage as the original? I spoke to someone at radio world who said to cut the power pole off and connect to a switched power supply unit. I understand these can be noisy. Any help?
Thanks
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Re: AOR AR 3000A

Post by NightProwler »

Yes you can, I use to run mine off an old 13.8V CB PSU with no problems until I found the original PSU, Dont use cheap Chinese switch mode PSU's as they can and probably will cause noise. I have the AOR3000A software here too so it can be connected to a computer, Much easier than trying to look at that tiny LCD display, Let me know if you want a copy.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

There's a few decent makes of small SMPS. I use both Stontronics and Jndee plug in the wall adaptors and they are noise free across the spectrum. Ensure you select one that provides plenty of headroom in the current department.
Alternatively, if you want to power other radio kit, one of the reputable 13V power supplies will do the job.
There's a neat little MyDel/Nissei supply that has both conventional binding posts and Powerpole connections. Martin Lynch sells them. Might be more than your looking for but in case you intend to expand.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
hampshire1
Regular
Regular

Post by hampshire1 »

Hi, Nightprowler yes please I would love a copy. I noticed the computer leads are available on eBay.
hampshire1
Regular
Regular

Post by hampshire1 »

Thanks Auldgeek. I am only going to power this unit nothing to fancy/expensive. Could you post a picture or model number of your plug in wall adapter?
Thanks
hampshire1
Regular
Regular

Post by hampshire1 »

Thanks Auldgeek. I am only going to power this unit nothing to fancy/expensive. Could you post a picture or model number of your plug in wall adapter?
Thanks