Old or New

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Old or New

Post by Auldgeek »

While there's plenty of new radio gear to suit all budgets, there's still a good deal of older equipment still going strong, with some of the gear quite sought after.

While I have a few current makes and models of Yaesu and Icom transceivers, my absolute favourites are Kenwood's from the early to mid 80's through to the mid nineties. I just love the audio that these radios produce. All very rounded and warm. Not a DSP button in sight.
I've owned most of these radios and still have a few but I would be interested to know what your favourite Amateur transceiver is, old or new.

For me, it's a toss up between a Kenwood TS-850Sat and a TS-940Sat.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Old or New

Post by ch25 »

It depends. Old radios, analogue, with low RMDR are just fine. When it comes to serious usage, like contest on 40 or 80m, life verifies it quickly. I have TS-870 and IC-7610 side by side. Often, when I'm unable to make a qso on Kenwood, Icom does it's job easily.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

ch25 wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 19:10 It depends. Old radios, analogue, with low RMDR are just fine. When it comes to serious usage, like contest on 40 or 80m, life verifies it quickly. I have TS-870 and IC-7610 side by side. Often, when I'm unable to make a qso on Kenwood, Icom does it's job easily.
Chris
I don't have anything like a 7610 Chris but in CW mode, my TS-940 definitely holds its own against my FTDX3000 or my IC-7300. My 940 does have Inrad filters and I use the VBT but it generally hears what the others do. On SSB, yes the newer radios can fight the noise a bit better but the older analogue receivers just sound so much better. I'm very hard of hearing and need every help I can get and to my ears, they sound better, even if they don't always "work better"
Maybe if I listened on an IC-7610 or TS-890, I would be pleasantly surprised?
Auldgeek - Drew

Samalex
Call Sign: MM0

Post by Samalex »

I have also had lots of radios and its all down to what you do with them. I have done contesting from 160 to 6m in various locations and radios i like in years gone by are Kenwood ts850sat fully filtered used yaesu icom and other kenwoods but the 850 was always the better for me. Newer radios i had the K3 but sold as it was no good in my location with the noise that came from the speaker or headphones was great for contests but after an hour or so i would swap it out due to fatigue. I now dont do much contesting and prefer 6m and some hf i use a ic7600 or IC756Pro III. Antennas and coax is where i try and improve on now. Cant see me spending the money on the latest icom kenwood yaesu anymore.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

How 7610 receiver handle close, strong signals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogoj1Dz4y9Y

And cherry on top. Just awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBBsEWUaHBo
Chris
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

ch25 wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 21:36 How 7610 receiver handle close, strong signals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogoj1Dz4y9Y

And cherry on top. Just awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBBsEWUaHBo
Chris
That's rather impressive Chris and definitely shows just how well the 7610 handles strong signals in or close to the edge of the passband from center frequency. I've never been very interested in contesting and these days, my DX capability is significantly reduced with limited antennas but I can still see the benefit of something like a 7610 or FTDX101 etc.

Having spent some time reading up on RMDR and some of the test reports on Sherwood, it's not surprising that my old TS-940 keeps up with my FTDX3000, as the Yaesu's RDMR figures according to Sherwood are, less than optimal. However my IC-7300 does have decent RDMR figures and the old Kenwood still holds it own, at least on CW.

I'm going off topic a bit here but what I would really be interested in, is if higher end radios such as the 7610 would help me listen to phone, as I am now severely deaf with very little mid to high range hearing. I'm having to process all received audio through a mixing desk, manually boost and cut frequencies and send the recivered audio via bluetooth directly to my hearing aids. While It does help, If the 7610 or equivalent would improve on things, I'd be very tempted.
One challenge is that there's no longer any radio dealers local, or even semi local and I don't really know of anyone local to me with such a radio, so I've decided to plan a trip with an overnight stay to visit a dealer in the new year to try one for myself and if they do assist, I may just bring one home!

Anyway, I digress...
Auldgeek - Drew

ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ch25 »

7610 have separate rx tone adjustment. +/- bass and treble. I have it set to 0, but when adjusting difference is huge. Also playing with filter width and shape can tailor audio some way. If visiting a dealer won't work for you let me know, we can do some remote testing since remote is nice and easy with that rig.
Chris
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

ch25 wrote: 31 Dec 2019, 19:20 7610 have separate rx tone adjustment. +/- bass and treble. I have it set to 0, but when adjusting difference is huge. Also playing with filter width and shape can tailor audio some way. If visiting a dealer won't work for you let me know, we can do some remote testing since remote is nice and easy with that rig.
Chris
Thanks for the kind offer Chris. I may well take you up on that if I can't get to see one in the flesh. :thumbup:
Auldgeek - Drew

Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

I too have a few newer ones, but for me my 1990 Yaesu FT1000D is the one I like best and have owned it for nearly 20 years now.
36ian

Post by 36ian »

I have a few modern radio's but this gets my vote