What motivates people to take there Foundation License.

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Re: What motivates people to take there Foundation License.

Post by NightProwler »

I only did it because a mate of mine was going on and on and on about doing it but was too scared to actually do it so I made the first move and we did it together. I never use my licence tho, 11M for me :D
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
2E0UCW
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0UCW

Post by 2E0UCW »

A few HF stations were operating at our field day in Stowmarket.
One doing APRS stuff on 5w - got into Sweden and Denmark. Another on 50w having QSO's with the US and Russia.
The bands are not as dead as people presume - every month at the field day, contacts are made into the US and Europe if not further out.
Motorola DM4600 ; Anytone 578 ; Anytone 868 ; Anytone 878 Plus
Whistler TRX-1 ; DV Mega ; Duplex Hotspot ; Zumspot USB
www.dmrguide.uk ; www.dmr-uk.net
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

Cornelius wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 20:24 What does these different licenses cover?

Here in Norway, there's just one amateur radio license one can take, and it covers everything.
there are 3 here in the uk Foundation Licence, Intermediate Licence and the Full Licence. each has a set power level and band plan and thats mainly it
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
chazwozza
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26CD172

Post by chazwozza »

Same as someone else posted I took the test to cover my A** for the beam antenna I use on 27
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

chazwozza wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 13:20 Same as someone else posted I took the test to cover my A** for the beam antenna I use on 27
I'm curious what does having a ham license cover because if the council come knocking over say a planning issue being licensed won't make a jot of difference?
I'm a full call and I spend more time on the cb these days if I'm honest, too much bs with ham radio and I wouldn't advise anyone to bother sitting the full as it's pointless stay a M7 and do what you want no one gives a sh1t these days.
chazwozza
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26CD172

Post by chazwozza »

Council came knocking years ago I don’t need planning for my setup it was more for covering me against **** neighbours that might complain to Ofcom etc but the only git of a neighbour I had moved years ago So all is good