Back after 30 ish years.

A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
QRZ-934

Back after 30 ish years.

Post by QRZ-934 »

Well its been a tad over 30 of them year things that seem to come and go all too quickly and I decided to take the plunge and get a CB again.
I opted for a lincoln 2 plus with the expansion to cover 10/11 and 12metres.
I also got myself a sirio gainmaster 5/8 wave to eventually go on a telescopic tower.
With no where to mount it, I bolted it to the washing line pole down the garden so it was only around 3 feet off the ground with a decided list to starboard. However its proven to be extremely adept at pulling in signals from all over especially during the summer months with August this year being pretty active. I put some on my YT page, french and germans on Fm sounding like theyre just down the road.
Before I went and got the lincoln Id shelled out a miniscule 18 quid on a Baofeng handheld which has been surpringly good for local stuff although the antennas supplied dont cover the bandwidth they suggest on the print according to the antenna analyser.
Since then Ive aquired a couple of other radios including some nice 934 mhz radios plus a couple of co-linears which Ive yet to install.
Back in the day, I started out around 1982 with my first ever rig, a little midland 100M 80 channel and a hygain disguise antenna in the loft on a groundplane.
I got more and more into it aquiring hygain 5's had 4 or 5 of those at one time, colt 320dx, superstar 95 ( ace little radio used it to blank out a neighbours inconsiderate stereo...) 3 wks 1001's, rotel rvc 240x2, maxcom 4e, midland 8001, stalker 8 and 9fdx ( that was a cracking set!) york jcb 863, communicators 440dx (broadband machine), had antennas of most all types, starduster, Gap half and 5/8 waves, DV27, Firestiks etc but never a beam, Just didnt have the space for one.
So my current collection consists of a couple of the little midlands ( I do like the design of the AM sets) a cybernet Delta 1, a stabo 933/934 prs, eurosonic hadheld ( antennas awful resonates on 190mhz!) and a couple of dmr's plus the iddy little baofeng.
Now all I want is a couple of pmr yagis and a mashead preamp for the delta but theyre so rare itll probably be impossible to find one.....enuff of my ramblings for now. :)

Regards Tony.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Back after 30 ish years.

Post by Andy »

Hi Tony. sounds like a mid-life crisis to me!
I've never been much into CB, but back in the late 70's/early 80's I did fiddle about a bit before I decided to get my Amateur licence. I ended up with a Sharp AM set, which I made switchable to FM. No-one wanted to talk to me on FM as there was mass pressure to get AM adopted at the time. I think I gave it to a mate after a few weeks..
Re the little Midlands. My boss had a legal FM model (can't remember the model number) that was so compact and pretty that I just kept on looking at it! It was very similar in looks to the 3001 (?).
Do people still use 934? Last time I looked, the band was stuffed with mobile phone carp!
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

Hi Andy thanks for the welcome!

Mid life crisis already had that :).
Probably the 2001/3001 series midlands youre referring to, I always liked the colour of those and the layout plus the Mics were really quite nice too.

Apparently there is still activity on 934 but its a bit sparse due to low numbers of rigs out there and also the fact that its a closed band but there are still users.

Locally to me I have around 17 channels worth of cell garbage and 3 channels-18-20 that are clear, probably the best way to hear any contacts still on would be a decent yagi and a great big hill out in the sticks someplace to get away from all the noise.
Probably a contentious issue for some (rules is rules is rules) as the bands shut officially but they said that about AM too and look what happened there. :)
If I do hear anything on the band ill log it here.
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

Hi tony welcome to the forum and back to radio :thumbup: :thumbup:
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)
KlondikeMike
Call Sign: 9WR2000

Post by KlondikeMike »

Welcome back! CB radio is no longer like you remember it in those golden years. Although, we've now got eBay to find that stuff you've always wanted.
QRZ-934

Post by QRZ-934 »

Thanks fellas yes its all changed.
One or two locals on and still some good dx if thats all youre after, but when I left the scene it had all gone haywire.
So many idiots on the air at that time ( one of us left tho! :D) made it less than attractive, but like everything there seems to be a point where it peaks then rolls off.
Its definitely improved from that point of view.
However Im wondering if numbers keep declining will ofcom eventually reassign the band?
MorningStarIzzi
New User
New User
Call Sign: MMOIZI

Post by MorningStarIzzi »

new member here friends, just sharing our cb n ham group in Fife and looking to attract members n more importantly working individuals with a passion for cb radio like myself. need members to offer following interests..i.e. create n form local net for cb to highlight our group
.. individuals to form rest of working committee
other willing ladies or gents to have a free radio interest or sales
--tables.
other guys to offer group demos or talks
a full licenced ham to start a tuition / foundation class
a radio tech to have sales n radio repair table
and others to be part of team to run radio fest 2020
i would like to ask if any of you friends on here that would be able to travel n join us once a month to help form a leading light in the fife area, i would luv to hear from any interested persons. my own background ..my heart belongs to cb since 1976 till present day and currently full licenced ham though haven't yet used call sign saving for the right set up.but want to fundraise for venue base station .thanks for reading friends not yet had opportunity to chat with anyone on here yet.cheers isabel andrews you can look me up on facebook .tens the noo.