Which is the best

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
Benny

Which is the best

Post by Benny »

Ok - just a quick one …… DMR , Fusion or D -star .?? - which is best for activity , repeater coverage and ease of use ?
QRP Rules OK!
thedeerhunter270
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Which is the best

Post by thedeerhunter270 »

I'm not a real expert - but I'd guess it was DMR due to the cheapness of the equipment. I'm cheap and only do DMR. :)
Operating in South Northumberland and Weardale.
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

Tried them all..

DMR is pretty cheap to get into, but its more of a hotch potch system designed by a lot of people not talking to each other, using outdated motorola tech.
If you have the time to learn about Brandmeister, pheonix, colour codes, plug codes, hot spots, custom firmware etc then fill your boots. The whole thing then falls apart when 3 or more people try to make a net.
Dalek Star works well but sounds terrible.
Fusion confusion isn't all bad and gaining ground, at least it sounds good - more and more repeaters coming online, but you have to invest in the kit and its not cheap.

There isn't a best, they are all pants :lol:
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

I'd say DMR is best also its still RF to RF comms but in digital form when using digital simplex. DMR is easy to learn.