Crt ss 9900 picking up tv downstairs

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Master Virus
Regular
Regular

Crt ss 9900 picking up tv downstairs

Post by Master Virus »

I was scanning the bands and on each band on a certain frequency/ channel it picks up the tv's freeview. I know its freeview because what i hear on the radio is what i hear on the tv downstairs.
Anyone else get this?
GoldVolvo
Regular
Regular

Re: Crt ss 9900 picking up tv downstairs

Post by GoldVolvo »

Does your freeview box have an old type aerial output? If so, chances are you're picking up harmonics of the RF modulation it's using for that. I think the audio frequencies were something like 477-853MHz.
Master Virus
Regular
Regular

Post by Master Virus »

GoldVolvo wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 14:07 Does your freeview box have an old type aerial output? If so, chances are you're picking up harmonics of the RF modulation it's using for that. I think the audio frequencies were something like 477-853MHz.
It's a new digital tv with freeview built in but the aerial is a digital one i installed in the loft. I replaced the old one with a new digital as the old one just kept getting pixelated squares and the picture keep on freezing and making weird noises.
I really don't watch tv but the wife does and it really annoyed the crap out of her 🤣 so she ordered a new one and said stick this up.
Got some software for the phone and positioned the aerial and it worked perfect, even got a kiss and a cuddle.
If i mention aerials or antennas i get a look or a growl {bnghd}
I think you're right though Goldvolvo and i suppose there is no was to cure it?
Thanks for the reply
GoldVolvo
Regular
Regular

Post by GoldVolvo »

I don't know about there being no way to cure it, if it really is harmonics of the box's internal modulator then firstly it may be possible to turn off in the settings (assuming it's connected to the TV by HDMI or scart anyway, not many folk use the old RF connector any more), or even just wrap a bit of foil round the unused connector on the back of the box.
Master Virus
Regular
Regular

Post by Master Virus »

GoldVolvo wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 09:57 I don't know about there being no way to cure it, if it really is harmonics of the box's internal modulator then firstly it may be possible to turn off in the settings (assuming it's connected to the TV by HDMI or scart anyway, not many folk use the old RF connector any more), or even just wrap a bit of foil round the unused connector on the back of the box.
It's on every band and it takes about five channels on each band so it's not too bad, i know it shouldn't pick it up.
The wife hates me touching the tv unless the channels disappear so i will best leave it until she goes out.
It's a Hisense tv with built in freeview hd thing and you plug the aerial in at the side that's all i know as when i was single i just had a hifi system and didn't have or want a tv.
Tv licencing bloke said what's wrong with me because people that don't have a tv aren't normal, i said well i'm not normal that's why i prefer music.
Anyway hopefully i can find a way to cure it, if not, ah well .
Thanks again.
GoldVolvo
Regular
Regular

Post by GoldVolvo »

Haha I've never had a conversation with a TVL goon for long enough for them to try and insult me... Convo usually goes "Hello I'm from TV Licensing"... "Oh hi, I now require you to leave the property!". They're usually bullying self important A-holes and I don't like bullies.

Funny they should say you're not normal, that's exactly what my in-laws said too when they learned I don't watch telly lol. I wouldn't expect a modern built-in freeview TV to have an RF output but worth a look see if it can be made any better, failing that going mobile is a good excuse to get away from the QRM
Master Virus
Regular
Regular

Post by Master Virus »

GoldVolvo wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 17:13 Haha I've never had a conversation with a TVL goon for long enough for them to try and insult me... Convo usually goes "Hello I'm from TV Licensing"... "Oh hi, I now require you to leave the property!". They're usually bullying self important A-holes and I don't like bullies.

Funny they should say you're not normal, that's exactly what my in-laws said too when they learned I don't watch telly lol. I wouldn't expect a modern built-in freeview TV to have an RF output but worth a look see if it can be made any better, failing that going mobile is a good excuse to get away from the QRM
They said that to me when i got my first house and now i'm married i just shut the door in their faces.
I just love music and always have and i never was a lover of tv and picking up channels i just know what the wife is watching.
I might go mobile to norland moors and see whos on.
Anyways, thanks again GoldVolvo really appreciate it.
GoldVolvo
Regular
Regular

Post by GoldVolvo »

Master Virus wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 18:49 ....and now i'm married i just shut the door in their faces.
The TVL goons, or the in-laws? :twisted: :lol:

Not a problem at all anyway, shame I couldn't come up with a more useful suggestion but mobile seems to be where "it's at" as far as pulling in clear signals these days I think. We're quite lucky round here noise-wise, once you get above the roofline it clears up well but even so it isn't a patch on how good things work out on Mow Cop or Buxton, I can have my RF gain on full and see under S1 of rubbish on a clear channel up there compared to about S3-S5 at home. (It's nice to be out in the sticks too with a nice view and a flask of coffee!)

Maybe catch you down the co-ax one day when conditions look up.
Master Virus
Regular
Regular

Post by Master Virus »

Hopefully we will talk online :-)
Dave C
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 27PL259

Post by Dave C »

GoldVolvo wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 23:11
Master Virus wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 18:49 ....and now i'm married i just shut the door in their faces.
The TVL goons, or the in-laws? :twisted: :lol:

Not a problem at all anyway, shame I couldn't come up with a more useful suggestion but mobile seems to be where "it's at" as far as pulling in clear signals these days I think. We're quite lucky round here noise-wise, once you get above the roofline it clears up well but even so it isn't a patch on how good things work out on Mow Cop or Buxton, I can have my RF gain on full and see under S1 of rubbish on a clear channel up there compared to about S3-S5 at home. (It's nice to be out in the sticks too with a nice view and a flask of coffee!)

Maybe catch you down the co-ax one day when conditions look up.
Hi Gold Volvo, you are presumably close to me as Mow Cop and Buxton used to be and still are my haunts for DXing / CB too.. And, my sentiments entirely on the coffee. ;)
Life is like a box of chocolates.... Usually empty when I get there.... :crazy:

Rigs: Major M588 AM FM SSB (Std), President Grant II Premium (Std), Midland Alan 78 Plus (Std), Lowe TX 40 (Std).

Twigs: Antron 99 (Std), K40 Mag, Firestick 4', Cherokee Dial A Match 4', Sirio 1000 PL Mag.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Master Virus wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 20:15
It's a new digital tv
I would be asking for a new replacement tv or just get a refund.

Once you explain that you have just purchased new CB/amateur radio equipment,and the new tv causes stray rf,which is resulting in interference on your new radio equipment = as the tv is being heard on it.

"Hi there,I purchased this tv recently and I would like a different t.v. or my money back,as the tv is playing havoc with my radio equipment or its a phone call to trading standards mate,and they will just get Ofcom to go through your WHOLE tv stock.......to see how many are illegal".

Maybe take a few bricks/mash hammer with you for the shop windows if they say your getting no new tv or refund,and just try the tinfoil trick ;)
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb