inside or out

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
para999

Re: inside or out

Post by para999 »

i heard a load of bleeps but i can also hear what sounds like music, very distant.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Anything at all Danny? I turned the mic' gain up, echo off completely, 10-100watts, bang on freq.

I thought I heard a voice about 4 minutes past, but the mind can play tricks on you and there was no signal movement of note.

Edit - just read your reply. I did fire off about 10 beeps in 1 second intervals.
para999

Post by para999 »

they happened at about 2 mins past 11.
not to worry will listen out from time to time and I will let you know when I know the handyman will be coming
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

That'd be about right time-wise. I did about 20 seconds on each power level, (listened for about 10 seconds inbetween) then just fired off a load of beeps at full power.

So near yet so far.

If I knew morse code and could beep fast enough without the delay on the amp, I could beep "Hello, it's Dave here" ;)
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

para999 wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 16:13 just finished got it down to 1.2 across the board. would think I will leave it at that.will have a listen out next day or so see what I can hear
Just remember the cycle of the sun is at a low point resulting in far less skip like at present,so don't dismiss the "new" antenna thinking its not efficient,as even the best antenna will toil to hear what isn't there most days.

France and Italy on 27.555 as I type,but very weak and not even moving the signal meter ;)

Like Collector typed in an earlier post,its not the same as "years ago",but in my opinion the CB is better nowadays if you want to get good distances without any skip,it comes at a price but = a big antenna = because the locals are mostly 10- 20 mile away at least.

But for hearing dx,a simple homebrew dipole at my location low down (roughly the same height as yours) can sometimes hear what a Sirio 827 / Sirio Gain Master / Imax 2000 at 30ft up couldn't in the past.

If you heard Collector sending out faint beeps from 30 odd mile away,and he has hills surrounding him,I would say that was an achievement,if he was on top of the hill with 100w you would hear him no problem on SSB.

Maybe a good mobile whip like a Sirio or Pal 7ft Firestik sitting on a good groundplane in the loft,if you have enough height ?

Up in the loft I have a Sirio mobile whip with magmount base,sitting on an old metal toolbox,with tinfoil under the base in a cross shape for the groundplane,its not as good as the vertical 30 ft up but it works better than on top of my car 20ft lower outside in the driveway ;)
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Danny- conversations on ch19 and ch4 (mobile on 4) on ukfm at the mo. If you're free, see if you can hear them or get back to them ;)
para999

Post by para999 »

missed it dave.had a flip through all the channels on fm am and ssb including other euros and nothing at all,that I could make out.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I didn't know if you were around mate, so just hoped you'd pass by at some point and they'd still be on and you could hear something.
One was a low signal op from Newport, Wales, but I'm not sure about the others but they had Bristol or possibly Gloucester accents by the sounds of it. One was just over s7, another s4-5 and the Newport one was s2-3.

I called a company on my side of Bristol that sells 20ft alloy scaffold poles, but they wanted nearly £80 for one! I nearly choked on my phone. I just need to wait until I need to go to north-east Bristol for some reason to pick one up for £40.

Once in position with some home-made supports on the conifers, it'll give me about another 10ft in height, so both the top AND the centre sections of the Imax will be over the house. After that I can do no more as it's risky even doing that around here.

We've just planted some Red Robin evergreen shrubs on the front garden, going against the "open frontage" covenents in the house yet again, so I'm a bit of a rebel ;)
para999

Post by para999 »

naughty naughty lol.just had another check nothing at all this end.will contact the handyman again.one thing I have noticed is the swr ( that's back on the tank whip ) is a bit high but I suppose it's because it's not attached to anything.i have attached some wire to one of the copper pipes in the loft with no difference.it's up around 3
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Hmmm yeah, too high. With enough power going through it, you'd reflect enough to potentially damage your radio, so no adding linear amp's until it's down low again ;)

As I said before, just ensure the swr is 1.5 or well below if possible, before your handyman packs up and leaves when he's fitting it all in place.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

para999 wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 20:26 just had another check nothing at all this end.will contact the handyman again.one thing I have noticed is the swr ( that's back on the tank whip ) is a bit high but I suppose it's because it's not attached to anything.

i have attached some wire to one of the copper pipes in the loft with no difference.it's up around 3
Maybe the pl259s,if you never touched the dipole and it was 1.2 > 1 across the bands ?

27.555 Usb
para999

Post by para999 »

I swapped back over to the tank whip and left it in the loft.because it was not attached to anything apart from the bracket I got the reading of 3 then tried earthing the bracket to one of the existing copper pipes and it didn't make any difference to the SWR of 3. i've checked the continuity of the PL plugs and all is ok there.i even tried the 2 wires I left dangling down on the base of the aerial, no difference.i just need to make sure I've got all the bits I need once the handyman arrives to attach the whip to the outside mast.i know the results are fairly good using the homemade dipole in the loft but as I won't be using it outside I wanted to experiment with the whip while I'm waiting.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

If you have spare wire have bits as big as the loft floor will allow,and put it in a cross from corner to corner (more length),and just connect to the metal at the bottom of the beehive base,as it will be in the middle of the flat groundplane to earth it better ?

Even a cheap roll of tinfoil will work if you have no spare wire.

Can maybe use a few bits of thin string to hold it inplace vertical better ?

Might help flattening the swr as you will create a better grounding system for the antenna,something you dont have just now.

27.555 Usb
para999

Post by para999 »

ok will try that thanks
para999

Post by para999 »

just have someone i heard say they were in india ( if they were telling the trith )on Lsb 28.475 coming through but all he is talking is in phonetic code. my mount is in its original position but on Tuesday the handyman is coming to fit it on the aerial pole.still nothing on UKFM just a load of mush.
Last edited by para999 on 27 Oct 2019, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.