inside or out

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Re: inside or out

Post by original45 »

Lol what you like
para999

Post by para999 »

well i've given the handyman 3 weeks from when he originally contacted me and I sent him a mail, I have heard nothing from him.
i hate it when people do this, just be honest that's all I ask, if you don't want to do it,or can't, just says so.
anyhow so far all the people I ask won't do it unless they supply the bits,but as there aren't any bits they don't seem to want to know.what I intend to do is try putting it in the loft again, it will be higher than it is at the moment,albeit it will be slightly shielded but possibly not as much as it is at the moment with the wall and the roof.yes the roof will shield it but once it is at full height in the loft it will be at the height of the ridge tiles ( if that makes sense), which it isn't at the moment.it's a case of trial end error now until I either get an improvement or get fed up and give up.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Give it a go mate. At least this way you'll hopefully get a bit of improvement for zero cost if you're doing it yourself. If it does help a tad, it may then give you that little boost of confidence that it'll be worth hoiking it up that few feet more onto the aerial pole.

Apart from messing with 2 handhelds, I haven't switched my homebase on for about 2 weeks now. However, let me know when you've got the aerial in the loft and all your connections are checked again and sound and I'll give you a shout again.
para999

Post by para999 »

will do thanks.yes I will be putting it in the loft myself I'm ok doing that but no way would you get me up a ladder.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I've got a Morten's Neuroma , Plantar Fasciatis and arthritis in my right foot (latter probably from a nasty triple ankle bone break 30 years ago, plus it's now affecting my right knee. I'm a stubborn old sod and still go up ladders.

I usually regret it the next day though!
para999

Post by para999 »

I don't think you will see many of my age going up ladders still, especially seeing I'm scared of heights as well.having somebody collapse on a highrise crane was not my idea of fun at the time.going into a loft is not too far to fall but as for going up 30ft or so no thanks lol.my mate was in the fire service and he laughed when he took me up in the snorkel one day as all I could do was sit on the floor of the cage and 'brick it'.luckily not too much washing was needed afterwards.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I work out of a fire station (not a fireman myself though, we just share the building) and we had an emergency services open day on Sunday. The Simon Snorkel thing's cage went up 32metres above the crowd. Now, if only you could put your tank whip on that...
para999

Post by para999 »

lol that would be good
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I've been trying to suss out if I could build an aerial "raiser" on the side of my house.

I reckon a 30mm thick, 25ft long threaded bar inside a square box section. A slot along the outer side of the box section for a motorised double-bracket to slide up and down the thread with the aerial mounted on. Brackets to the sides for bolting to the house.

At the flick of a switch, the motor would turn the threaded bar around, the bracket system and a small pole would screw itself upwards, taking the aerial up with it. When down, it would sit 6inches away to the house, with the tip below the apex. At full height, the base of my Imax would be about level with the top of the roof.

I've just got to consider the cost, the labour (as I don't get much time to myself) plus the fact it'd be even more noticeable when up (albeit only up when in use which is rarely), plus the fact I've only used a welder once and then I'm not sure if a washing machine motor would do the job properly or safely.

Hmmmm.

Might just be simpler and cheaper to whack it up in the tree another 10ft on an alloy pole instead and hope I don't get grassed up lol.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

I have a couple k brackets on wall. Top one had a u bolt however often left not tightened but is fixed solid so doesn't move .however insulated by rubber tubing to eliminate noise from poles knocking.
The other k brackets I loosen to slip in more or remove swaged poles I wombled from old trampoline .
I have alloy swaged sets too ,obviously lighter but I prefer my steel ones taken from kids old trampoline.

My top pole 10' is a galvanised conduit with bamboo inside to stop bending but still flexes well.
Simple strong and cheap cheap.
Been up years now
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

The Collector wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 11:23 I've been trying to suss out if I could build an aerial "raiser" on the side of my house.

Might just be simpler and cheaper to whack it up in the tree another 10ft on an alloy pole instead and hope I don't get grassed up lol.
Always get a second-hand 33ft portable aluminium 6 stage telescopic tower,and bracket it to the side of your house.

My mate had one fixed to a fence with big jubilee clips,was meant to be for the weekend,and it actually stayed up for nearly 5 years,with a 5/8th wave silver rod at the top without guy ropes.The Imax is however
far heavier in comparison as you know Collector.

Or just cammo the 10ft pole ;)
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
para999

Post by para999 »

ok an update for you.had a visit from the handyman who had a look at what I wanted doing and the man said yes.so I have to wait for him to tell me when,as he works in another fulltime job and only does this as a side line. he says should be in the next fortnight, so fingers crossed. in the meantime I have put the aerial in the loft, which was my second choice.there doesn't seem to be any difference, I'm getting nothing readable, i can see the needle moving ( or in my case the bar graph increasing)as somebody is talking but I cannot hear them.as I have roughly a fortnight I will leave things as they are and keep listening in until the guy comes to fit it to the aerial mast, and go from there.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

If you're around tomorrow night Danny, I'll give you a shout at exactly 11pm on UK ch39. (27.98125). I'll try talking then give a succession of beeps as sometimes they seem to cut through the mush better than a voice. I'll then try again with my bit of "help" ;)
para999

Post by para999 »

ok yes i'll be around thanks bigdave
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

No problem. I won't be on for long even if by some miracle you can converse with me lol, as I've got to be up early to do a community event down in Yeovil Monday morning. I need my beauty sleep if I'm going to have to chat to loads of people.

On passing the other day on my way to a job, I found a spot on higher ground between where I am and Bristol that might help if I try mobile one of the nights with the Antron next to the car. We'll wait for that until we fail when your aerial's up on the pole.
I'll only be using 4 watts mobile though as I don't want to have to take the amp mobile and run yet more power wires through my car's bulkhead. It already looks like swiss cheese!