Cobra 148 mk 5 jentec, worth the big investment

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Cobra 148 mk 5 jentec, worth the big investment

Post by original45 »

Only a week back became aware of the jentec 148 after spotting one being offered for sale ,limited numbers so on and the last I could find being sold I think was 4/500£.

Love the radio ,the history of it too and limited numbers wow a icon. A difficult one to value I'm sure as some would sell their gran for one maybe.
Worth a silly price as a investment ?

If anything goes or is wrong with one I'm sure would cost a arm and leg fix too.
Sure is a beauty
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Re: Cobra 148 mk 5 jentec, worth the big investment

Post by Otter »

I don't think any CB radio can be thought of as an investment. IMO most of the people who want old ones are the people who used or wanted them in the hayday and now have the money to buy them. As those numbers diminish their radios will come on the market, fewer people will be around who want them etc. Prices will fall.

If you want one, buy one. There are better radios for much cheaper. Don't buy radios as an investment, buy them because you want them.

IMO
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

They were probably things of beauty when they were first made by Mr Nugent . They've been discussed extensively on here since I joined . As Tim says , there are much better radios for the same money . And good luck if it breaks . Just ask ol' Jim (retrodude) , who bought one recently . Don't think he ever got his fixed . I wouldn't buy any CB radio as an investment . Most people who are into this hobby aren't getting any younger (me included) , so who are you going to sell it to ? Some 20 year old for £1,000 . I don't think so . If you want one , buy it . End of story .

S.

PS And leave it to me in your will , if you kick off before I do :)
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Edd200sx
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: AMC45

Post by Edd200sx »

The one for sale recently is owned by a guy that wants people to
Make an offer on it.

Greedy ****
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Post by original45 »

Yup that's the one. I have no intentions of buying it this way myself.
I wanted to judge the collectorbility as such .
Radio I more enjoy and use than collect ,it's nice if values rise slightly but I have other hobbies where let's say a item built by such a pro in the field in v limited numbers fetches thousands and would be snapped up in hours by enthusiasts.

I too agree as white my other hobby those who will collect and want buy it because it was something from there era they possibly my couldn't buy at time and in a future not yet May drop in value.

I'm glad I found the info ,I wasn't aware of it myself . Have been way Hong few YouTube videos on them and bit more reading.
Still a piece of modern day radio history and a beauty as I prefer classic vintage
Otter
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Otter »

I like the look, I'd like to reverse engineer one to find out how it was done, but not enough to pay anything like the amount of money that they go for.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I bed to differ on some radios not being an investment. A mint Fidelity 1000 bought tens years ago for £5 has got to be now worth nearly £7 after inflation has been considered ;)
flickpot
Call Sign: 163TM230

Post by flickpot »

Not for me, I like to locate Radios that are classed ass classics with box etc, But each to their own :)
163-TM-230
163-FB-230
Otter
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Otter »

flickpot wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 00:05 Not for me, I like to locate Radios that are classed ass classics with box etc, But each to their own :)
That's collecting though rather than investing. Probably. I like a boxed radio, but it's not essential and the box only takes up space really.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

I don't care about boxes . I prefer the "hidden gem" type. The ones that are intact , but need some TLC to bring them back to life .
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Otter
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Otter »

I like them too. Even the ones nobody values - except maybe the Communicators / Planet radios and Fidelity 3000 and 1000 types. Oh, and the Pearce - Simpson Super Tiger 40A.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

As has been said previously, good luck if it breaks down.

I picked up a MK4 Jentec off Gumtree maybe five or so years back. I paid £100 for it. Yes you read that right, £100. And the MK4 is much rarer than the MK5 which pop up on ebay often enough.

I owned a Jentec which luckily worked fine. Did it live up to its legendary status? No. Did it work better than a regular 148 GTL-DX? No. Would it have been worth paying £500 for? No.

It was just a heavily modified Cobra which performed just like any other Cobra. Nothing particularly special about it, other than it said "Jentec" on the front.

I didn't keep it long. Firstly, I had other radio's which performed just as well if not better. Secondly, paranoia crept in over it breaking down. So off to Ebay it went and yes, someone paid silly money for it.

Would I buy another? Unless it was for sale in double figures instead of triple no I wouldn't. An Anytone 5555 would be a better option and it gives you much more radio for considerably less money.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

unless was cheap and broke i wont be buying 1 .......but i aint a collector
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Not long ago CHOPPEDUPWHORESLOPZ were churning out MK5 Jentecs (allegedly).
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
PeterA
Call Sign: 26TM2714

Post by PeterA »

cb4ever104 wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 18:05 And good luck if it breaks . Just ask ol' Jim (retrodude) , who bought one recently . Don't think he ever got his fixed.
Was this posted and discussed, mainly curious to the issues it had and why it couldn't be fixed.

Did a quick search but didn't find anything... :think:

EDIT ~ Nevermind, found it... was searching with the username retrodude... just searched using Jentec/Cobra/MK5 and it is Retro_CB_Dude! :thumbup:
WANTED
Galaxy Pluto, 2100, DX88HL, President Ronald (Or Equivalent)
SuperStar 3900 MK1
President Adams
Cobra 148 GTL