Home made dipole antenna - what length for airband?

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
jimster99
Regular
Regular

Re: Home made dipole antenna - what length for airband?

Post by jimster99 »

Apologies to resurrect a half-decade old thread but I thought it might be interesting to report back that I have actually made this antenna and it works very well! I left the arms longer than actually needed as a start, and will trim them back in due course. I have jammed it in the window as per the attached photo. There is an anti-insect mesh thing made of metal on the outer side of the window which affects reception a bit but it still works well enough for my purposes. So thanks all for the feedback!
IMG_2513.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fmdx
Regular
Regular

Re: Home made dipole antenna - what length for airband?

Post by fmdx »

well done jimster

looks like you got limited space but could you not get it into loft?

if it works for you and you can hear what you are after by all means use it

when i built antennas in past for likes of airband when i am tuning the antenna or choosing a site for it i would listen in to the ATIS broadcasts on the band and it could give you an an indication of how well ur antenna works when comparing the different ATIS frequencies and their location against your RX location.

Most planes you will hear over many miles with obv height being on their side.