New Baofeng DM 860 / 1801

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
timberwolf
Regular
Regular

New Baofeng DM 860 / 1801

Post by timberwolf »

Have Baofeng got it right for both licenced amateurs and users of DMR in the public retail & security sectors ? Aliexpress are selling the Baofeng DM-860 for a crazy low price of sub £45. The retailers claim that this dmr has Tier 1 & 2 dual time slots and, wait for it, the standard Ambe+2 vocoder. It's even got its own Promiscuous mode (probably won't give you cc or ts but handy nevertheless.). Has anyone out there bought this radio? Is it as poor as I imagine it to be (or am I far too cynical in my old age !)
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: New Baofeng DM 860 / 1801

Post by radiosification »

Looks interesting. Certainly a radio like that isn't suitable for commercial/business users. For starters it will have a direct conversion receiver and the build quality probably isn't as good as other commercial models. It could be a good radio for hobbyists on a very low budget though. I might actually buy one of these to review.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
GW0KIG
New User
New User
Call Sign: Gw0kig

Post by GW0KIG »

I have had one for couple of months now. Almost identical form factor to the Radioddity GD77. Nice build quality. Good audio reports on TX and RX on both FM and DMR. Programming lead and CPS software not the same as the GD77 however. Overall I like it!
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Post by gmham »

It's not got vfo mode for tuning DMR Freq / cc etc without the use off a codeplug has it ? There is one out there with this feature and must admit personally for me it would prove so much easier to use.
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
GW0KIG
New User
New User
Call Sign: Gw0kig

Post by GW0KIG »

I am not 100% sure what you are asking GMham but from the front panel I can program frequency, Colour Code, Slot and mode (i.e. DMR or FM) and then you could manually input a talkgroup. However although its possible i don't recommend it as the best way to operate on DMR!
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Post by gmham »

Cheers mate that's exactly the info I was looking for, as someone who has struggled with codeplugs in the past being able to simply input a known freq , cc etc into a radio would certainly for me anyone be great. Thanks again. John
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
timberwolf
Regular
Regular

Post by timberwolf »

Finally got round to buying one now that it's available on eBay. Cost approx £43 new with programming cable. There was no manual but it's essentially the gd77 so easy to find one online. Simple to input time slot, colour code & frequency. Extremely impressed with audio making it honestly ideal as an upgraded radio for the supermarket security officer who's been issued a dayglo vest with klicfast fittings and a Baofeng 888! It's an ideal way for an amateur on a restricted budget to try dmr. And, it can, with a bit of patience, please the scanner enthusiast too! On analogue, the typical continuous Baofeng frequency scanner will pick up the machine gun sound of a dmr. Switch to digital mode with monitor and all you have to do is try each successive colour code (0-15) until you hear the shop assistant ask the store room for a Size 6 in those kitten heels! At that point, the Talk Groups appear on screen too. I know that I'll want to buy a more versatile dmr in the future (kinda like when I bought the UV5R then progressed to a second hand Yaesu).