President McKinley EU Incoming

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Re: President McKinley EU Incoming

Post by cb4ever104 »

Queball wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 18:23 Not sure whether to do the export mod or not.
You know you're going to Gareth , so just get it over with :)
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Queball
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Queball »

You know me better than myself Sammy.
gholdq on youtube.com
26TM265
26FB165
26CT066
26UK165
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Queball wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 10:40 You know me better than myself Sammy.
We're all the same on here Gareth :)
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Queball wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 18:23 Took the plunge and decided to get a McKinley from Nevada. Why not at that price. Just switched in on and all is good. Not sure whether to do the export mod or not.
If you do decide to do the export mode, be warned that it gets warm. By warm, I mean very warm. If you use constant carrier modes like FM, my advice is to turn the power down.

Oh and enable span in the menu. That gives you VFO like tuning.

Good little radio and a great price.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

Mine gets hot and I mean HOT in standard mode with only 4 Watts!!!!
listner132
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by listner132 »

Yes the radio gets hot..but so do kl203's. what do we do ? yip put a fan on top to keep it cool..its a no brainer really..also if this is the only thing we can say bad about this we great radio then i think it says it all..great radio best new set in the last 10 years ! Just a bit pricey but that will soon come down.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

I will say the meter is just the same as an anyclones = hard to get to +30 unless you are running more than 4w and very close by listener132.

Why do I say this = a local 4 mile away was on a pmeu today and on his other radios I give him a good +30 = on his new pmeu a S9 with me turning the power upto 100w into an Imax 30ft up.

And I asked above previously if anyone has had a +30 = with no reply.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
listner132
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by listner132 »

I cant say i have had over a 9+ signal either but the meter defo does not dance around silly like the anytones or other 10/11 meter new radios. if that is what you are meaning. Also i cant think of anything apart from the heat issue from the regulation side that needs to be fixed or changed..what i mean is like the anytones that are on revision 6 and the lincoln 2 thats now on revision 3 and i still dont think both said radios are still a patch on the new pmeu..the only radio i would say that comes clost to it would be the president grant 2 and the premium..remember this is just my opinion of what i have found with the radio. Everyone will find other good or bad things. cheers.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

None of the new CB's/10m radios dance about on the signal meter and they toil to reach +30 = ever since the V6 of the 'clones had extra resistance added to the rx side to stop the flickery meter,all the "new" radios I have had,have been lazy past the S9+ apart from a Grant 2 V1.

Not many user's of said new radios can usually give me a +30 signal report no matter how much power I can put their way.

And unless they are rx-ing a high power station within about a mile (or less) a +30 aint going to happen.

Even when the skip is banging in,no one has hit me end of scale on anything new since 2012 when the skip should be end stopping on a +30 = hence the reason they have all been sold on.

If you like your pmeu having a "lazy meter" then you like it :thumbup:

I don't care if someone's a low signal as long as they are readable,compared to being say a S9 and I'm getting hit with +20 of noise and can't hear them at all.

If I am using a half decent antenna 30ft up to someone no more than say about 5 mile away,and they have their antenna roughly the same height up as me,I expect to end scale them on "the best New CB available" especially if I'm turning the power well up.
Last edited by 108EH002 on 16 Aug 2019, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.

27.555 Usb
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

In EPT36xx chassis was enough to swap one diode form silicon to germanium and recalibrate meter. s9+++ was visible more often.
Same Lincoln board.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Don't think it would take you long to replace one diode to rectify said fault on the EPT36xx chassis ch25,but lots of different people spent about 2 1/2 year to develop this radio.......and it toils to hit +30.

Another £20 off at Nevada this weekend as delboys is roasting at 4w :lol:

27.555 Usb
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

listner132 wrote: 15 Aug 2019, 20:49 Yes the radio gets hot..but so do kl203's. what do we do ? yip put a fan on top to keep it cool..its a no brainer really..also if this is the only thing we can say bad about this we great radio then i think it says it all..great radio best new set in the last 10 years ! Just a bit pricey but that will soon come down.
No brainer eh = How does the fan go on top if I want to use the radio as the manufacturer intended 132 ? = a din slot mobile radio should go in the dashboard of a vehicle.

27.555 Usb
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

To be honest I can't see why it gets so hot anyway. Hopefully President will sort this problem out. Having to put a fan on a CB radio is nuts.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

cb4ever104 wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 06:14 1 = To be honest I can't see why it gets so hot anyway.

2 = Hopefully President will sort this problem out. Having to put a fan on a CB radio is nuts.
1 = bad design ?
2 = V2 already after 2 1/2 year using their own hand picked tech's + especially a 4w legal set.

27.555 Usb
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

108EH002 wrote: 15 Aug 2019, 22:33 None of the new CB's/10m radios dance about on the signal meter and they toil to reach +30 = ever since the V6 of the 'clones had extra resistance added to the rx side to stop the flickery meter,all the "new" radios I have had,have been lazy past the S9+ apart from a Grant 2 V1.

Not many user's of said new radios can usually give me a +30 signal report no matter how much power I can put their way.

And unless they are rx-ing a high power station within about a mile (or less) a +30 aint going to happen.

Even when the skip is banging in,no one has hit me end of scale on anything new since 2012 when the skip should be end stopping on a +30 = hence the reason they have all been sold on.

If you like your pmeu having a "lazy meter" then you like it :thumbup:

I don't care if someone's a low signal as long as they are readable,compared to being say a S9 and I'm getting hit with +20 of noise and can't hear them at all.

If I am using a half decent antenna 30ft up to someone no more than say about 5 mile away,and they have their antenna roughly the same height up as me,I expect to end scale them on "the best New CB available" especially if I'm turning the power well up.
Why are you so obsessed with +30db signals? A signal derived s meter reading is simply a variable voltage sample from the receivers AGC. It has nothing to do with its capability to receive signals. In fact, from the several radios I've compared my Mckinley to, it's by far the best receiver of them all. It's what you hear and how you hear it that matters. In any case, s meters are rarely linear anyway, so the difference in voltage at the sampling point doesn't change enough to provide you with that extra couple of bars.
Last edited by Auldgeek on 17 Aug 2019, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think: