President McKinley EU Incoming

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Adidas SoulBoy
Regular
Regular

Re: President McKinley EU Incoming

Post by Adidas SoulBoy »

Thankyou Auldgeek
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

^^Sounds ok sitting in front of you at 0 mph on a unit/bench......but not very easy when mobile,and it is a din slot mobile radio so 2 hands off the wheel {bnghd} ....prefer variable power on a rotary switch on the front of a mobile radio,but thats just me Drew.Another plus for anyclones.^^
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

108EH002 wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 08:31 ^^Sounds ok sitting in front of you at 0 mph on a unit/bench......but not very easy when mobile,and it is a din slot mobile radio so 2 hands off the wheel {bnghd} ....prefer variable power on a rotary switch on the front of a mobile radio,but thats just me Drew.Another plus for anyclones.^^
I agree with you regarding variable power but to be fair, the Mckinley is designed to be a legal radio and therefore, quite a few of the features and preferences you have mentioned in this thread are less relevant in this context.
For me, the receiver performance is more mportant and in this respect, it's better than the Anyclones i've tested it against, including my V3 SS-9900, V2 SS-7900 & SS-6900N. The Mckinley is definitely better on receive, with less noise and better audio.
It's not perfect but then again, none of them are!

For mobile use, the Mckinley would definitely be a fit and forget radio, as some of the variable controls such as power and mic gain are just far too complicated to adjust if moving.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Again,thanks for the update Drew,.I know the G2 wasn't the best but I liked it as there was NO hidden menu.

The speaker is taking up the space where I would have preferred some variable rotary switches for on/off/volume/squelch and rf gain/power,but it is what it is,a new President with less white noise to signal ratio.

27.555 Usb
lambrettadave
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: TM455

Post by lambrettadave »

There must be a hundred rigs available with more controls on the front than the McKinley but the McKinley was designed to be a front speaker radio and made consequences for the speaker.

If front speakers are not for you then there are many other radios for your taste.
CALL SIGN 26TM455 OPERATOR DAVE QTH SUNDERLAND

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88011785@N06/ for CB magazine.reviews

http://www.youtube.com/user/lambrettadave7 for some vids of my radios.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Mckinley looks a bit like a TTI CB 900 at the front apart from the shape of the display screen.

The Tti Cb 1100 has 6 push in buttons instead of 5 like on the McKinley EU........that design is at least 10 year's old now.

President had to use the front design of a cheap TTI CB for their long awaited flagship CB = :crazy:

27.555 Usb
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

How is the receive when a strong SSB station come in?

The last few Uniden boarded SSB presidents have had a weird AGC setup which caused distortion unless the RF was turned back.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

Mudslinger wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 12:32 How is the receive when a strong SSB station come in?

The last few Uniden boarded SSB presidents have had a weird AGC setup which caused distortion unless the RF was turned back.
Seems ok so far, not had a very strong signal yet but s9+10db signals sound fine.
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

I got the link by Googling Jabber Products.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
lambrettadave
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lambrettadave »

108EH002 wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 21:04 Mckinley looks a bit like a TTI CB 900 at the front apart from the shape of the display screen.

The Tti Cb 1100 has 6 push in buttons instead of 5 like on the McKinley EU........that design is at least 10 year's old now.

President had to use the front design of a cheap TTI CB for their long awaited flagship CB = :crazy:
If it ain't broken why fix it.
Would another button be anymore useful

108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Another button useful = can add cadburys milk buttons if you want,if you like it,then you like it Dave.

I still think its a poor effort from the design team at President = a tti clone that has been out for years :thumbdown:

27.555 Usb
lambrettadave
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lambrettadave »

108EH002 wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 10:17 Another button useful = can add cadburys milk buttons if you want,if you like it,then you like it Dave.

I still think its a poor effort from the design team at President = a tti clone that has been out for years :thumbdown:
Yes you are right but it is only what others have been doing like the superstar 3900 and how old there design is.

To be honest there are other compact ssb rigs available from other manufacturers and there rigs are close to dinable size if not a perfect size.

When I get a chance I will pile up all of the front speaker radios that I have for a little comparing on design and ssb rigs too.

108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Only what others have been doing = President don't split profits upto 10 different ways = so no need to share the design with others when your meant to be at the forefront with any new advances in CB technologies = unique......unlike other's ;)

TTI = hardly the first name that springs to mind when looking for the "best anything " on TM1.

Some folk don't care what a radio looks like as long as it work's and thats fair enough :thumbup:

Thought the Lincoln 2 looked rubbish compared to the original but I still bought a V1 and V3 ;) :lol:

27.555 Usb
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

108EH002 wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 09:14 Thought the Lincoln 2 looked rubbish compared to the original but I still bought a V1 and V3 ;) :lol:
Would you say the Lincoln V3 is better than the McKinley ?
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

cb4ever104 wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 10:48
108EH002 wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 09:14 Thought the Lincoln 2 looked rubbish compared to the original but I still bought a V1 and V3 ;) :lol:
Would you say the Lincoln V3 is better than the McKinley ?
As in performance or looks ? = looks = did many CB''s look exactly like the L2 before it was out ? This looks like a tti.

Would have to sit the 2 of them in front of me so I could really compare them from bright sunlight to total darkness when mobile,and for how easy they were to use when mobile.Don't have a McKinley yet,as it costs too much for a new CB but only imo.

I bought the L2's only because they were CHEAP.

First L2 I bought (V1)was only 6 wks old in the box for £60 in 2014 from a local and it was sold about 2 month after,the V3 was still newish and still boxed for £100,that was away a month later.

Will maybe get a McKinley in the future,never say never eh,but only if its £100 tops secondhand = just to see I suppose.

Said I wouldn't buy another new CB after the G2 Premium.

At present I use a 2 yr old export SS 3900 with blue display but only because it was mint in the box for £70 and it was local.They aren't the best CB but it was fairly cheap ;)

Out of about 30 locals on CB,only 2 have ever spoken about the "new" President that was out in the USA first.....me and a local mate.......no one else is interested in the President Mckinley.........because they hear "its about £240 - £250" and that is about a second hand hf set ;)
Last edited by 108EH002 on 03 Jul 2019, 12:45, edited 2 times in total.

27.555 Usb