no difference ... any suggestions?

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
NITRO

no difference ... any suggestions?

Post by NITRO »

ok folks i was running a 66 foot end fed inverted L antenna with my yaesu ft 450 till it died a death before christmas....... got a new radio icom ic718 and a z100 autotuner ............ the old wire was looking a tad delapadated so i put up a new 66 foot length same as the last one .....but instead of the old rg58 coax , i used the thick good stuff
a guy from the radio club said if i put up a 102 foot endfed wire it would be MUCH better at receive and get out better .. ( its what he uses ..)
so i put up a 102 foot end fed inverted V ..... no difference ??????
hmmmm so i raised it up another 15 foot ........ no difference .......
4 days ago i made a centre fed dipole cut at 66 foot each end for 80 meters ...STILL no difference :crazy:

any ideas for a good home brew ... easy to make antenna for 40 and 80 meters? cos im at a total loss as to why theres no difference whatsoever ......
i get some contacts but they all say im very quiet .... except for now and then when i get a 5 by 9 and get told the modulation is lovely .......??? ie poland and russia last week )
cheers folks
163-TM-565
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: no difference ... any suggestions?

Post by ch25 »

Horizontal wire antenna to perform well should be hanged at least 1/2 wavelength over the ground. Lower height, poorer performance.

I do not have height here, so for 40m I use 1/4 GP with elevated radials. Simple, cheap and effective.Worked 3d2cr today on 40m as my 297 DXCC on that band.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
NITRO

Re: no difference ... any suggestions?

Post by NITRO »

well so far i have tried a 66 foot end fed .... 102 foot end fed and a di pole all with the same result so im totally stumped lol
163-TM-565