A question about PMR radios

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
Powermax
Regular
Regular

A question about PMR radios

Post by Powermax »

There is something that I find slightly puzzling about 2 way radio usage.

Nearly everyone I know refuses to use one. For example, if we go out somewhere, they just want to use their mobile. Furthermore, they say they feel "silly" talking into a radio, which I find rather odd, considering I see plenty of people using hands free mobiles, which to me looks even sillier!

Does anyone else experience this?

I'm actually thinking of just selling my kit, as I never get round to using it. I've owned PMR sets for 10 yrs and in all that time have only ever tested them and performed the odd DX from a high ground.
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Re: A question about PMR radios

Post by Metradio »

Powermax wrote: 27 May 2019, 15:47 There is something that I find slightly puzzling about 2 way radio usage.

Nearly everyone I know refuses to use one. For example, if we go out somewhere, they just want to use their mobile. Furthermore, they say they feel "silly" talking into a radio, which I find rather odd, considering I see plenty of people using hands free mobiles, which to me looks even sillier!

You remind me of the guy who stands in the High Street loudly telling everyone that Jesus saves - with the TSB, Halifax etc and wonders why people go out of their way to avoid him... Talking on a radio is not everybody's cup of tea, in fact some find it quite odd.. :o

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

Powermax wrote: 27 May 2019, 15:47 I'm actually thinking of just selling my kit, as I never get round to using it. I've owned PMR sets for 10 yrs and in all that time have only ever tested them and performed the odd DX from a high ground.
I think that's a normal feeling after a while. I'm more interested in building new systems and running tests on them. Talking to other people is just a side-effect. Don't sell your gear!
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
Powermax
Regular
Regular

Post by Powermax »

Metradio wrote: 27 May 2019, 20:32
Powermax wrote: 27 May 2019, 15:47 There is something that I find slightly puzzling about 2 way radio usage.

You remind me of the guy who stands in the High Street loudly telling everyone that Jesus saves - with the TSB, Halifax etc and wonders why people go out of their way to avoid him... Talking on a radio is not everybody's cup of tea, in fact some find it quite odd.. :o

Mike
I'm sure they do but it is totally illogical

Perhaps if all their mates did it....
Last edited by Powermax on 28 May 2019, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Powermax
Regular
Regular

Post by Powermax »

26mb04 wrote: 27 May 2019, 22:27
Powermax wrote: 27 May 2019, 15:47 I'm actually thinking of just selling my kit, as I never get round to using it. I've owned PMR sets for 10 yrs and in all that time have only ever tested them and performed the odd DX from a high ground.
I think that's a normal feeling after a while. I'm more interested in building new systems and running tests on them. Talking to other people is just a side-effect. Don't sell your gear!

I'll hold on to it for a while longer then :D It doesn't take up much room but it is gathering dust!

I know what you mean as well - years ago I was a CB'er and became more interested in perfecting transmission than actually having long chats! :lol:
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

Have you thought of looking into Network Radio ? A mixture of mobile phone that works like a 2 way radio - a mobile phone with a PTT..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Powermax
Regular
Regular

Post by Powermax »

Metradio wrote: 28 May 2019, 20:20 Have you thought of looking into Network Radio ? A mixture of mobile phone that works like a 2 way radio - a mobile phone with a PTT..

Mike
I have tried an app called Zello which is exactly that, however, I have again found that people don't want/like to use it..
radtech
Call Sign: Rich

Post by radtech »

I think many people dislike the idea of their conversion effectively being on loudspeaker, people in general naturally don't like to draw attention to themselves around others. Not everyone of course!
Rich