Commtron CB 40f TX "fart" issue

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Commtron CB 40f TX "fart" issue

Post by The Collector »

Bought a cute little Commtron 40f ukfm radio, a Ham Int. Relax mic' and a Marko mic' for £1.24 recently. I know this radio therefore could just be chucked in the bin, but I'd like to try and get her working 100%.

The Commtron seems to work great (have hardwired her, with an inline-fuse too) except, it "farts" on transmit, but just on channel 1. Sounds a bit like someone blowing a raspberry. It starts fast then slows down and stops after about 4 seconds. Could be what some called "motorboating"???
It did do it for a fraction of a second on channel 2 too but seemed okay after a minute's use.

I've gently twiddled the little red trimmer on the board (but my Tandy-bought 30 year old pot-twiddling sticks are a bit pants to be honest) to no avail.

Anyone know what component/s I need to be concentrating on and what size hammer to use please? ;)

It certainly wouldn't be worth sending this off for repair as the repair costs and postage would far outweight its worth.

There is a chance I may be able to do a Youtube vid', but I'm sure people in the know, know exactly what sort of noise I'm referring to.

Thanks in advance,
Dave.
Buick Mackane

Re: Commtron CB 40f TX "fart" issue

Post by Buick Mackane »

The Collector wrote: 15 May 2019, 18:33
The Commtron seems to work great except, it "farts" on transmit,
Dave.
That's because its utter sh1te dave :lol:

Sounds like the VCO Might not be locking properly
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Buick Mackane wrote: 15 May 2019, 18:57
The Collector wrote: 15 May 2019, 18:33
The Commtron seems to work great except, it "farts" on transmit,
Dave.
That's because its utter sh1te dave :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I've come to expect nothing less from Mr.Buick. I try and ask for help and all I get it this kind of thing.

Git!

;)

I know it's sh**e, but it's my 1p's worth of sh**e and I want to see if it'll work properly so it ends up as 2p's worth of sh**e, thank you very much :)
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

The Collector wrote: 15 May 2019, 18:33 Bought a cute little Commtron 40f ukfm radio, a Ham Int. Relax mic' and a Marko mic' for £1.24 recently. I know this radio therefore could just be chucked in the bin, but I'd like to try and get her working 100%.

The Commtron seems to work great (have hardwired her, with an inline-fuse too) except, it "farts" on transmit, but just on channel 1. Sounds a bit like someone blowing a raspberry. It starts fast then slows down and stops after about 4 seconds. Could be what some called "motorboating"???
It did do it for a fraction of a second on channel 2 too but seemed okay after a minute's use.

I've gently twiddled the little red trimmer on the board (but my Tandy-bought 30 year old pot-twiddling sticks are a bit pants to be honest) to no avail.

Anyone know what component/s I need to be concentrating on and what size hammer to use please? ;)

It certainly wouldn't be worth sending this off for repair as the repair costs and postage would far outweight its worth.

There is a chance I may be able to do a Youtube vid', but I'm sure people in the know, know exactly what sort of noise I'm referring to.

Thanks in advance,
Dave.
Be careful Dave.

Farting on channel 1 can lead to full blown diarrhoea on channel 19! :lol:
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Constructive criticism I can take, but just taking the pi$$ is about all I get on here. I'd get more helpful comments by posting my woes on bloody "mumsnet" than I would on here! :lol:
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

The Collector wrote: 16 May 2019, 11:59 Constructive criticism I can take, but just taking the pi$$ is about all I get on here. I'd get more helpful comments by posting my woes on bloody "mumsnet" than I would on here! :lol:
No Sh1t :lol:

I did mention earlier that it sounded like the VCO Was struggling to lock on the low channels
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Well, I got my little cheap Draper miniture screwdriver set out and twiddled away. Adjusting the tiny red trimmer again did bugger all, so I just went through all the telephone box-shaped pots and twiddled those and if nothing happened, put them back to where they were originally. At one point I got rid of the farting but lost 90% of my incoming audio. A pot with a red-tinged slotted core in got adjusted and bought the audio back, so she now looks to be working :) I also turned the outgoing audio up as it was a tad quiet while I was at it.

I'm now offering my services as a fully-trained radio technician to all on TM1. There's no actual guarantee I'll fix anything, but I won't charge you much for trying. If it goes bang, it was probably knackered and about to blow up anyway! ;)