Alloy 'scaffold' tube internal diameter?

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Alloy 'scaffold' tube internal diameter?

Post by grafter »

If you have a length of it to hand could you please measure the internal diameter and let me know what it is. I want to install a Yaesu elevation rotator on the top of my mast, the stub mast is an alloy pole and a length of similar stock that I have here has an I.D. of 39.4MM so before I order some tube and plate to make a spigot I just want to check this is a standard ID.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
prettypolly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26FB185

Re: Alloy 'scaffold' tube internal diameter?

Post by prettypolly »

36.2mm
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

Thanks PP, that's quite a difference. Looks like I'll have to lower my mast and measure the pole it will be mounted in to ensure a good fit.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

There's a misconception about staff tube - real staff tube is 48mm OD, and antenna mast tube is generally 50mm - with thinner walls for weight reasons. Ali staff tube has thicker walls - so these size differences are quite normal. 50mm tube often has 2 or 2.5mm wall thickness. Internal diameter of staff varies so much. But getting a Ali real scaff tube up in the air is a tricky task as the stuff weighs so much, the fixings and brackets need uprating too!
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

I've got a few short to medium lengths in my aerial graveyard, I'll have to check them all to see what variations there are but for the project in hand I'll wind the mast down and tilt it over during the week to get an accurate measurement of the tube I'll be using.