Back to Scanning - Edinburgh/East Lothian

Scanning radio frequencies for Scotland
AlanK
Regular
Regular

Back to Scanning - Edinburgh/East Lothian

Post by AlanK »

Hi

Been several years since I had a scanner but picked one up as I am about to do exam for air band radio and thought it might help to get familiar with it.

The local airport and even Glasgow and Aberdeen along with a few Scottish control frequencies have been added with varying levels of success in picking anything up but to expand its use it would be good to know of any known frequencies I should be looking at in this area, both in the air and on the ground!

In particular are there any military band freq that I should monitor now that Leuchars is all but gone?

I think I have the control area feqs such as 126.3 and 124.825 (tho only just hear one side of the conv) and a bunch of airport service providers I found on here and generic channels for gliders and microlights (not that I have ever heard anything on them). Got a few Marine band chs such as Forth Nav and weather - not sure if there are other regularly used channels I should add or just revert to the service scan mode for Marine band.

Would appreciate any pointers on what I should be adding in this neck of the woods. Thought about buying the UK Scanning guide CD thing but in my experience this is full of freqs I never hear anything on.

I am using a 125XLT and the excellent SCAN125 software (the only reason I went for this model over a slightly cheaper alternative). Also picked up a NA-771 aerial to replace the rubber ducky after seeing that mentioned on here too but guess I will have to put something in the atic at some point to get a bit more gain.
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Back to Scanning - Edinburgh/East Lothian

Post by Minus1 »

You could start with these for Swanwick Mil:
134.30000 VHF ICF Western Scotland
136.37500 VHF ICF Eastern Scotland
234.50000 UHF ICF Eastern Scotland
282.62500 UHF ICF Western Scotland

I understand Leuchars is still an active military airfield, although no RAF squadrons are based there. It is still used as a diversion field for Lossiemouth. It's also used for civil flights.

For Marine channels this is the best guide:
http://coastalradio.org.uk/freqlists/vhfmarinebases.pdf
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked
AlanK
Regular
Regular

Re: Back to Scanning - Edinburgh/East Lothian

Post by AlanK »

Cheers. I'll getv them on now and add the Leuchars ones as well just in case.