Magnum 257 Vs Lincoln 1

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Magnum 257 Vs Lincoln 1

Post by Mudslinger »

I recently got hold of a Magnum 257 (earlier yellow screen version with 30 watts output) for a good price, and I have been using it briefly in the shack along with my well used President Lincoln Mk1.

First impressions are that the Magnum works better on receive and of course has more output power, but isn't built as well (wobbly controls etc). It is also a bit more fiddly to operate, but that might be because I am not used to it.

I get very good audio reports on both of them when coupled to the Silver Eagle, in fact they sound quite similar I am told.

Has anyone else had both of these radios and how did you find that they compared?
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
beamer320i
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Magnum 257 Vs Lincoln 1

Post by beamer320i »

Hi Simon,

I had the yellow screen 257 at the same time as my Lincoln 1. I found transmitted audio to be quite similar as you say, but I also found the receive to be similar - in fact, the only thing that put me off the 257 was the rubber controls.

Regarding the Lincoln receive, I've often seen people say that the receive is better on other radio's such as the Jackson but I've never had any qualms about it. I must have one with a really good set of ears!

Going back to the Magnum, I've had various incarnations of this set (yellow and blue, hi power) and also the Albrecht 485 version which worked well. The only one which was junk was the Jopix Itaca, absolutely woeful!

Dom
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I find the Lincoln works well, but on SSB it is slightly worse at picking out weak signals on SSB than the Mk2 Superstar 360FM which I also have. I also expect the Magnum to be a bit better. The only station I spoke to on SSB was just across town, but I did managed to listen to some weak FM stations which it picked out very well.

I don't use AM much, but I also find the AM RX audio on the Lincoln rather flat. The Magnum sounds really good on AM receive.

If they had built them a bit better I would have thought they would have sold by the bucketload.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

i promised my self im going to get the best CB you friendly lot can supply me i want it tweeked to death ,i know your good rig doctors .can you help me now whilst i treat my self im looking round the £150 mark ,chhers
love your familly
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

Best is a chipswitch Lincoln
Blue 257 stunning tx audio and ssb and am
Yellow 257 audio is good on ssb and am
Lincoln good tx audio on ssb is good am is crap
257 is more user friendly for the memories esp mobile
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

stanogs68 wrote:i promised my self im going to get the best CB you friendly lot can supply me i want it tweeked to death ,i know your good rig doctors .can you help me now whilst i treat my self im looking round the £150 mark ,chhers
I'd suggest starting your own thread.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

I had a blue 257, regret selling it.
Found everything to be really good with the exception of FM modulation which was a bit low, it was an easy fix though.

I haven't owned a Lincoln 1 but have used one and although I thought it was a good radio I found the 257 better.

You are right though Simon, the Lincoln 1 has better build quality.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

andymuza wrote:I haven't owned a Lincoln 1
These types of members should be banned ! :) Only joking Andy m8 :) Saying that you must be one of a minority on this forum :)

Sammy
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Just out of interest how different is this radio to the Magnum 257?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AM-FM-SSB-Alb ... Swa-dWij~N

I wouldn't mind getting a new equivalent of the 257 at some stage.

I am not keen on the Optima's I have read too many bad things and someone near me has one. It sounds dreadful.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

Kaos
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Kaos »

Mudslinger wrote:Just out of interest how different is this radio to the Magnum 257?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AM-FM-SSB-Alb ... Swa-dWij~N

I wouldn't mind getting a new equivalent of the 257 at some stage.

I am not keen on the Optima's I have read too many bad things and someone near me has one. It sounds dreadful.
Owned an Optima Mk2B and it blew the L1 away.....unfortunately. I still have my L1 though and my Optima has moved on.

Optima seemed easier to use, and the layout on the front not like the L1 taxi radio. Nice big LCD. S meter behaved itself too.
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

so im geeting back is the magnum 257 or the lincoln 1 exept anndy mussa who thinks i should be shot ,cheers for the help everyone and if any one has something decent for sale let me know cheers lads (and girls )
love your familly
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

I have a Magnum 257HP and I think it's a great radio and really does work well. :D
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

thanks oggy
love your familly
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

look want if possile? an 80s ,90s cb with ssb usb am fm sab ,puts out loads of whatts any one got one for sale please
love your familly
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

not a big want lol
love your familly