MD380 dumb question plus observation.

The place to discuss Commercial & Private licensed hand held & mobile transceivers, as well as imported hand held and mobile transceivers.
WhiteNoisePoetry
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

MD380 dumb question plus observation.

Post by WhiteNoisePoetry »

OK two things...

1 - In analogue mode, I observe the power output bargraph is a bit random !
Sometimes it gives two bars, other times one bar on tx whilst on high power.
DMR mode is always the full four bars on high power - bug ?

2 - Flashing red light on TX.
I had my first play of trying to use another repeater other than the local one today.
Seemed to work ok at a /P QTH.

Get home and notice that if I try the non local repeater that the red tx light flashes.
So do all the others that are not local.

I presume that the RX wants to hear a signal first to confirm it's in range of a suitable repeater
before it allows full tx facilities, and the blinking red LED TX light indicates that it's not heard
a "home" repeater to work with yet ? Can't see anything wrong with the codeplug, but then...

3 - DMR is great, but in certain ways it only allows the virtual net to be wider, and catch more
boring idiots.

As a mostly CW operator, hearing the voices of a bunch of thick numpties who end every sentence
with "erm yeah yeah erm ermm", "my friend" , "yeah I copy what you say", "y'know y'know" and
already a classic from an M0 station who calls in to let people know that they are "getting out" is
already getting on my tits. I'd forgotten how bad voice operation was until recently {bnghd}

73 de WNP
owza
Call Sign: M0

Re: MD380 dumb question plus observation.

Post by owza »

Don't know about #1 I'll check my Hytera d50 (a md380 clone) later.

#2 I believe your correct, it's essentially letting you know you're in range in terms of signal strength, by receiving feedback from the repeater when you press PTT.

I get the same red light & tone when attempting to access 'DX repeaters' using the stubby antenna,
attach the HT to my collinear and then it's green for go.

I can't comment on DMR vs CW as I've not learn CW (yet!) but I'll take your word for it ;) I stick to HF in the main.

Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Comparing CW and DMR is apples and oranges, although skimming through the rules and regs, I can't see anything that says you can't use morse (rather than CW) via DMR.

Would be a fairly strong encryption, morse code in Esperanto over 256AES DMR.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
WhiteNoisePoetry
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WhiteNoisePoetry »

Thanks lads.
Yes it seems that there is a handshake between the rig and repeater at the start.
If none received, the LED blinks to say there's no link.

73 de WNP
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

WhiteNoisePoetry wrote:Thanks lads.
Yes it seems that there is a handshake between the rig and repeater at the start.
If none received, the LED blinks to say there's no link.

73 de WNP
The radio should also beep at you (or bonk, as they call it on some forums), to tell you it's out of range.

I've noticed the problem with thick numpties on DMR too. I think it's probably because the codeplugs are all available online and radios can be bought already programmed so almost nobody on there is smart enough to program their own radio or understand how the system works. {bnghd}

I'd assume the analogue bar meter thing is just a bug. These radios have a lot of them. (Bugs, not analogue bar meter things :lol:)
It probably doesn't accurately reflect the actual power output.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

If im honest i dont really know how to program my 380 without an imported codeplug AND i aint all that clued up on how DMR works.....
In all honesty its not my thing
daz3210

Post by daz3210 »

The radio can be programmed to not allow transmission if the timeslot is already in use on the repeater being accessed.

In that event I think a red light flashes and you get a monotone.