Wouxon KG-UV950 Mobile Installation

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Wouxon KG-UV950 Mobile Installation

Post by Auldgeek »

I am about to install the above radio into my car and was wondering if anyone else runs this radio mobile, specifially, the head unit in a remote mount setup? I'm looking for a suitable mounting bracket that will allow me to fit the head unit to the mount and allow for easy removal along with rotation and tilting. I see that Midland sell something but it's £20 and I think that's too expensive. Has anyone adapted or used a mobile phone mount or simialr with their mobile radio?
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Re: Wouxon KG-UV950 Mobile Installation

Post by Mitch »

I run one of these radios mobile and I just screwed the front mounting to the dash under the stereo and the rig bracket to the passenger side of the center console (I've got an old car), I did make a shorter remote head lead though, it's just a crossover network cable. I use an HH-9000 quad band aerial too, seems to work quite well for our local repeaters and CB.

You could use double sided sticky pads to mount the front if you don't want to drill your car. I never really thought about tilt/rotate mounts tbh, you can do just about everything from the mic anyway, I use that in preference to the front facia even at home, lol. Great radios :)
The perfect face for radio.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Re: Wouxon KG-UV950 Mobile Installation

Post by Auldgeek »

Thanks for the info.

I would like to avoid any permanent fixings on the dashboard as my car is just over a year old so what I've decided to do is buy the Midland head bracket. In front of the gear stick, is a two cup drinks holder covered over by a removable tray. I'm going to fix the bracket to this removable tray. I'll purchase a new tray so that in the event of selling the car, the new one can be put in its place.
I've also decided not to go with an external speaker for now, opting instead to setup the speaker output to route to the microphone. I've tried this on a second radio I have in the shack and there is plenty of audio so I'll try running this to see if it will be loud enough.
As for antenna, I have a Diamond quad band antenna although I'm only really intening to use it on 2M & 70cms so I may well opt for the Maldol dual band antenna I already have.

We'll see how this goes.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think: