Bankstick moxon antenna project

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
ROTEL240

Bankstick moxon antenna project

Post by ROTEL240 »

I decided to make a 2 element moxon its called the "bankstick" because the aluminum tube i used are from fishing bank sticks which were a pound each and i used 2 sizes 17/14mm od.
I then took off the rod rest threads of all the tubes then used 4 small 14mm tubes for the corners of the moxon,i filled the 4 tubes up with sand and packed it very tightly this prevents the tubes from crushing..
I then bent the 4 tubes round my antenna masts to form the corners the sand did its job,the sand was emptied out and i had the corners complete.
A few days later my 6 stauff clamps bolts stainless screws upvc rod and aluminum flat bar arrived.
I then made the boom out off 32mm aluminum pole cut to 1500mm long then strengthened it with a piece of timber planed to fit the the end caps added.
The front and back elements were made using the 17mm tube slid over the 14mm tube and the 1mm play was taken out the 2 joined tubes by inserting a piece of aluminum drinks can to make a snug fit then secured with a stainless screws
Both the front and back element supports plates were drilled out..front support is 300x80x6mm alu plate and the rear is 200x80x6mm alu plate and the stauff clamps added.The element support clamps were then secured to the boom via 4 u clamps and the front and back elements were secured into place.
Front element spacing is 25mm

A piece of 80x25x3mm alu bar was drilled out to take a so230 connector and secured to the plate with stainless screws then the element mounting bolts were added to the plate and 1 bolt is totally isolated front the plate and 1 is not, the center core was made up and connected.
The elements were drilled and the antenna connector was attached the elements using stainless bolts
The side of the front and back elements were calculated and made up a 250mm upvc rod was cut planed to fit inside the the 17mm tube to isolate the front and back elements and all secured with jubilee clips so adjustments for tuning can be made.The spacing is 115mm approx you can just see the grey rod in this pic
Antenna complete and the mounting stub attached via a shelly clamp.
The antenna is up on a test mast and ready to be tested.
The antenna was connected and the swr was 1.1.3 at my desired frequency and also a good band width which is more than a good enough for my tx range a little tuning will be made and also a rf choke will be added when installed to a permanent location first contact was 31crcr Jose in Portugal with a very good report and the propagation was not strong,the rejection is excellent..
The antenna cost around £60 and was a good project for me..Very pleased the build and performance from the "bankstick" moxon 73 good dx and thanks for reading.
Last edited by ROTEL240 on 14 Aug 2015, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
jeff66
Call Sign: G6ZGU

Re: Bankstick moxon antenna project

Post by jeff66 »

NICE!
"It don't take Rocket Appliances"
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

Poundshop bank sticks?
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

No cj from the tackle shop he had in the bargain bin 2 mm thick so well up to the job I have a few spare so may knock another twig up
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

Excellent, great job.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

ROTEL240 wrote:No cj from the tackle shop he had in the bargain bin 2 mm thick so well up to the job I have a few spare so may knock another twig up
Nicely done BTW, forgot to say.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for bargains like that.
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

Yes well done - very inspiring.
I'm always looking for stuff for making antennas, can't pass a skip without a nosey :)
However, I won't be using "my" bank sticks - they are for when I get to go fishing again....
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

Thanks for the comments lads and its working well.