Brand new studio mics for under £20!!

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Toobad
Call Sign: 26TM357

Brand new studio mics for under £20!!

Post by Toobad »

For those of you who don't visit the CT Forums, I thought I'd just give a heads up to a thread I started over there. I was intrigued by the fact Ebay seems to be awash with Chinese branded condenser studio mics at ridiculously cheap prices. On the basis that things which appear too good to be true generally are, I decided it was worth a tickle to drop some coin to find out. I have done a China vs. USA comparison video pitting the young pretender against my megabucks HeilSound PR-40 dynamic mic. So if anybody here is looking to improve their audio on a shoestring budget, have a wander over to CT. My vid is in a public access sub-forum so you don't have to be a member and there is a link back to the original thread where you can find sourcing and other relevant info.

http://s3.zetaboards.com/copythat/topic/7738595/1/#new
Just once I want someone to call me "Sir" without adding "you're making a scene."
astradyne

Re: Brand new studio mics for under £20!!

Post by astradyne »

Link to eBay please :D
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

Thank you for the time and effort.
I'ver just listened to the recordings using only the cheese o matic tinny speaker on the work PC, so will try again later.
However, for the small moneys it sounds a brilliant investment
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

astradyne wrote:Link to eBay please :D
Just do an ebay search for Shengyue BM-800. Oh, OK, I'll do it for you <link>
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
Toobad

Post by Toobad »

This is the exact one I bought for the comparison test. It currently weighs in at just over £19 delivered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Condenser ... e#shpCntId

My 8 individual uncompressed audio clips can be downloaded from here for all you purists out there:

http://s3.zetaboards.com/copythat/singl ... &t=7738595
Just once I want someone to call me "Sir" without adding "you're making a scene."
Kaos
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Kaos »

I have one of these to from E-Bay seller Millionshare. £16.50 BIN and it works a treat.

Make sure its got the 1.5v battery otherwise you will need a phantom power supply.

ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

Thanks for the demo and the link but how hard or easy would these boom mics to wire into a superstar, cobra , optima etc thanks.
Black_Pirate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM034

Post by Black_Pirate »

Yes I,d like to know the basics of wiring one of these up...
looking for propagation for 2013 and beyond... Operating close to the Edge....
of reason......and the Quantocks...
Didi modes (JS8 on 27.245 usb) txt messages via radio lol at minus- 10 to 20 db..... 😊 See FB page...

26T.M.034
GOOD LUCK IN DX
Toobad

Post by Toobad »

Essentially the 3-pin XLR connector is wired with pins 1 and 3 connected to the shield and pin 2 carrying the mic audio. You will need to add a 2-wire PTT solution either by footswitch or separate handswitch. So you will end up with 4 wires going into the traditional Foster mic plug which connects to the CB.
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tigersaw »

Interesting the one you purchase and link to uses a 1.5 battery, whereas I find many of the same looking and equally numbered BM-800 ones on Amazon all require phantom power; in fact many reviews slate them for not being able to use with a laptop for instance.
Does it have a on/off switch associated with the battery, or do you have to take it out when not in use?
FAFFER

Post by FAFFER »

Looks good! Might be worth a punt at that money! :)
Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Black_Pirate wrote:Yes I,d like to know the basics of wiring one of these up...
I'd plug it directly into my Melos and use that to drive the audio. TX is via a PTT button or a footswitch.

They're amazingly cheap if bought from China. Less than £13 with free P&P if you have the patience to wait.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Sound-Stu ... 1481939177
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Toobad

Post by Toobad »

Tigersaw wrote:Interesting the one you purchase and link to uses a 1.5 battery, whereas I find many of the same looking and equally numbered BM-800 ones on Amazon all require phantom power; in fact many reviews slate them for not being able to use with a laptop for instance.
Does it have a on/off switch associated with the battery, or do you have to take it out when not in use?
Dave, as I said in the video, there are many brands but essentially only 2 variants. I specifically hunted down a Shengyue because it required onboard power. It just seemed a lot less faffing. Because it only requires 1.5V I think it is safe to assume it is powering an electret capsule. People buying the brands requiring phantom power of anything up to the 48V a mixer usually supplies will be getting what is probably viewed as a "true" condenser mic. Not that there is anything wrong with electret condenser mics, in fact 95% of Shure's range is now based around electret capsules.
And no, it doesn't have an on/off switch, you would have to take the battery out for long term storage although I doubt it is beyond the collective knowledge of FADARS to rig up a switching solution ;)

On a side note, I recorded the video using the Shengyue BM-800 plugged into the external mic socket of a Nikon D600 dSLR camera. I think you'll agree the recorded sound is even better on the voiceover than that recorded for the samples via my FT-DX3000.
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

Thanks again for the info lads worth looking into at that price.
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Tigersaw »

Toobad wrote: although I doubt it is beyond the collective knowledge of FADARS to rig up a switching solution ;)
I think you are mixing up Folkstone and Fareham :)