Server converted power supplys.

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
darkone
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Server converted power supplys.

Post by darkone »

I'll be decomissioning a bunch of HP servers very soon. I might rescue the PSUs.

Not sure i'd use them on anything expensive radio wise, but i can see uses for them to supply 12/24V amps.
"Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good."
Soren Kierkegaard - Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

I'd be happy to use them with a radio, server power supplies are far better protected than anything you could buy for a radio, bearing in mind they're used on business critical kit that could when new have cost a large amount more than most radios.

I'm still after some of the HP 40-50V PSUs that I know are out there, I have this packet of MOSFETs ;)
darkone
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by darkone »

cjay wrote:I'd be happy to use them with a radio, server power supplies are far better protected than anything you could buy for a radio, bearing in mind they're used on business critical kit that could when new have cost a large amount more than most radios.
I know where your coming from with that angle but they do fail and sometimes quite spectacularly.
They're fitted in threes or more in critical kit for a reason.

cjay wrote:I'm still after some of the HP 40-50V PSUs that I know are out there, I have this packet of MOSFETs ;)
Series up 4 12V units to give you 48V @ stupid amps. HP units have a current sharing pin that should be exactly what you need?
"Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good."
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by cjay »

Preaching to the choir, I'm a HP Server and SAN engineer for my day job :)

A switcher failing can be really spectacular, there were some old IBM ones that you needed a fire extinguisher on hand when you were testing them :) :)

They're almost always fitted in twos or threes for redundancy but not always, some of the servers can be specced so highly that they need all three PSUs to run.

I've never seen one damage attached kit though, SMPSU's tend to fail safe (in terms of voltage, obviously having six inch flames jetting out of the side of the PSU isn't going to do your radio much good) and the servers that use single rail PSUs have another layer of protection because they use a second switch mode inside the server to create the rails used by the server.

As for series PSUs, yes, it'd work but I want one of the Bladecenter PSUs because of the physical size, four server PSUs would be huge.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

cjay wrote:I've never seen one damage attached kit though
Me neither... wouldn't be a whole lot of point in redundant PSUs if they took the server with them when they went.

UPSs on the other hand... I've seen one of them damage a server PSU (although not the server!).

Not saying any names. Cough! APC, cough!
Maple
Call Sign: TheMapleGuy

Post by Maple »

Although not as powerful as the mentioned ones I am pretty satisfied with my HP DPS-600PB ESP135 which I modded some time ago.
Made the voltage (norm/high) and the fan (full/quiet) switchable and added some massive binding posts on an aluminium bracket which can handle the max load.

Edit: removed oversized image added link instead
http://s30.postimg.org/xbi7d8jsv/DSCF1350.jpg

Server SMPSs ftw :thumbup:
Last edited by Maple on 05 Jun 2015, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
73, TheMapleGuy

Joseph P. Brenner. What's the "P" stand for?
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Old analogue PBX gear often has high quality 48V PSUs knocking around in it.

Not usually massive current ratings but normally high quality.
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by cjay »

kr0ne wrote:Old analogue PBX gear often has high quality 48V PSUs knocking around in it.

Not usually massive current ratings but normally high quality.
I would need something like 40 amps so a PBX supply is unlikely to be suitable unless it comes from a *huge* PBX
darkone
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by darkone »

Finished the decommissioning and have ended up with a selection of 26A, 32A, 36A and 47A 12V supplies.

Result :)
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by cjay »

Well if one needs a new home...
darkone
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by darkone »

cjay wrote:Well if one needs a new home...
You have a PM :D
prettypolly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26FB185

Post by prettypolly »

here's my effort a dell 6850 13.7 volts 112 amps total cost 8 quid lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
prettypolly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26FB185

Post by prettypolly »

sorry 13.5 volts it fluctuates up and down
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Post by sureshot »

Just an odd ball this one, an atx out of a HP DC7700 with a failed mobo. Is worth bothering ? well rather than chuck it out yes i think it is. Follows the same as other standard atx conversions. I only normally tap 3 voltages, the +12 volt, +5.0 volts, and the +3.3 volt rails, not sure of a use for the +3.3 volt rail to date, but tech stuff you never know.

A dummy load resistor of 4R7 10 watts gave best output loaded on the +5.0 volts rail, the unit has very little space inside, so this was mounted in the air flow in heatshrink tube, see picture. the fan wired direct to the +12 volts rail is like a tornado afterburner on full reheat lol. I used a 60 ohm 2 watt resistor which drop the fan voltage to just over 9 volts, and its very expectable with a good compromise on noise level and cooling. This unit is rated at a total load of 240 watts. From memory i think its about 16 amps on the +12 volts rail, although ripple at that current would probably be high, anything up to 12 - 14 amps is not unreasonable from it.

As always electricity is dangerous ! Play safe.

I posted it simply because its another thumbs up smps atx that work really well with cb radio.
First picture showing output on +12 volt rail, second picture in use.
No binding posts this time, it was more cost affective and simpler to use a 30 amp terminal block and heat shrink for out putting the voltages.
CB call. Shipwreck.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Post by sureshot »

Rather than a load of wires at the power supply end, i opt for a junction distribution box, easy to knock up. You could add as many outputs as you wanted, subject to box size, but my needs are modest.
CB call. Shipwreck.