taxi freq

Scanning radio frequencies for the South East
pyroman
New User
New User

taxi freq

Post by pyroman »

hey there this is my first nice to meet you all, i am new to all this but i was just wondering if anyone knows the taxi freq in basildon, essex

thanks a lot guys

luke
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Hi Pyroman -
Welcome to the wonderful world of scanning. You'll find plenty of taxi activity around if you tune or search between 167 and 169 Mhz in 12.5 KHz steps in narrow FM mode.
Don't forget to take a look at the regional guides on this site - there's lots of info there. Also worth thinking about is the Scanning Directory book advertised in most radio mags.
When you get tired of listening to taxis ferrying drunks around (you will!), you might like to listen between 453 MHz and 457 Mhz for your local Shopwatch and CCTV nets - great fun. :shock:
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
pyroman
New User
New User

Post by pyroman »

hey andy, thanks for the reply and thanks for telling me the useful info i will keep that in mind.

I don't want to be a pain in the ar*e lol, i am new to scanning if you have guessed i got a GRE PSR-282. I can pick the main taxi man up (person at base) but i cant hear the people in the cars i was just wondering why??

thanks
luke 8)
Girls Are Like Internet Domains, All the Good Ones Are Taken!!
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Ah, the perennial question! It's because they use a duplex sytem, which works like this:

The base transmits on one frequency eg 167.000 MHz
The mobile transmits on another eg 86.000MHz.

They each listen on the others transmit frequency. To hear both sides, you need two scanners, or you enter the frequencies into two memories and switch between them.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
pyroman
New User
New User

Post by pyroman »

o0 alright THANKS :D
pyroman
New User
New User

Post by pyroman »

tell me andy would something like this help? its a Maxon PM150

thanks
luke

( P.S sorry i am asking soo many questions :oops: )
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

I don't know, Pyro - what is it, some kind of ex-pmr radio? If you could programme it to RX on the various freqs it would be fine, but your scanner should do all you need. Must go now, I want to do my 5-yearly antenna maintenance today, and this time around there is quite a lot to do!
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.