Operating on PMR446

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
jacob44
Regular
Regular

Operating on PMR446

Post by jacob44 »

This is going to be hard to type so bear with me...

So I have my foundation license. Is it possible for me to use a base set at a power of 10w and an antenna, and be within the law?

Bit vague but hopefully it gets the message ac across!
Thanks all!
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Operating on PMR446

Post by thelad »

No PMR 446 has a limt of 0.5w and is ment to be a handheld transmitter with a fixed antenna.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
nickhammond121
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6NKH

Post by nickhammond121 »

As far as I am aware, PMR is limited to 500mW transmit power, hand-held units only and the antenna has to be fixed. I am not saying you cant use anything else (as we all know the Baofengs can do it) but its not strictly legal
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Your UK amateur license does not permit you to use any frequencies that have not been allocated to the amateur radio service in the UK.

446MHz is not allocated to the amateur service in the UK, so you cannot use this frequency under your UK amateur license.

Have another read over your Foundation License NOW! book and maybe even buy (and read) the intermediate license book as well. :)
PsiDOC
Call Sign: 163FKU

Post by PsiDOC »

Yep. That's covererd in the licencing limitations of use (BR68F) and should have been covered in your exam training. If it wasn't covered then your instructor needs his backside kicking.
For your reference:
Limitations on use

2(1) The Licensee shall only use:

the frequency bands specified in the first column of the Schedule to this Licence subject to the limitations set out in the second column of the Schedule;
a power not exceeding the maximum specified in the third column of the Schedule; and
the types of transmission specified in the fourth column of the Schedule.
For the full details including the schedule referred to go here:
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ ... /br68f.htm

Psi
*Proud owner of a Cornflake Packet Amateur License and registered instructor in the art of gaining said license*
Icom IC-756 Pro III
Yaesu FT100D.
President Washington
President Adams
Tait T2020 70mhz
Baofeng UV-5R 2m / 70cm
jacob44
Regular
Regular

Post by jacob44 »

Thanks very much all.
GlasgowSnapper
Call Sign: 2M0FRA

Post by GlasgowSnapper »

nickhammond121 wrote:As far as I am aware, PMR is limited to 500mW transmit power, hand-held units only and the antenna has to be fixed. I am not saying you cant use anything else (as we all know the Baofengs can do it) but its not strictly legal
The current guidance states:
Please note that Analogue and Digital PMR446 equipment usage within the UK is limited to
mobile-only, low-power (i.e. 0.5W ERP1 maximum), short-range, simplex, two-way, peer-topeer use. Analogue PMR446 and Digital PMR446 allow speech and / or tones. Additionally,
Digital PMR446 facilitates the transmission of data, and has an automatic transmission
timeout of 180 seconds.
No mention of only hand-held or fixed antennas.
2M0FRA
nickhammond121
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6NKH

Post by nickhammond121 »

GlasgowSnapper wrote:
nickhammond121 wrote:As far as I am aware, PMR is limited to 500mW transmit power, hand-held units only and the antenna has to be fixed. I am not saying you cant use anything else (as we all know the Baofengs can do it) but its not strictly legal
The current guidance states:
Please note that Analogue and Digital PMR446 equipment usage within the UK is limited to
mobile-only, low-power (i.e. 0.5W ERP1 maximum), short-range, simplex, two-way, peer-topeer use. Analogue PMR446 and Digital PMR446 allow speech and / or tones. Additionally,
Digital PMR446 facilitates the transmission of data, and has an automatic transmission
timeout of 180 seconds.
No mention of only hand-held or fixed antennas.

From >>>HERE<<< , where I got the info from

5. RADIO EQUIPMENT
PMR 446 radio equipment must be handportable, have an integral antenna, have a maximum ERP of 500 mW and be compliant with ETS 300 296.

PMR 446 radio equipment must use the above frequencies only. Radio equipment which can operate on any other frequency, including Short Range Business Radio (SRBR) equipment capable of using frequencies in the 461 MHz band, must not be used for the PMR 446 service.
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

If you look at Ofcom's website: http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binari ... MR4461.pdf

Quote:
Converted radio equipment
PMR446 users are reminded that their radios are only licence-exempt if they are built and operated within the conditions of the exemption regulations. If modifications are made to the equipment, such as adding an antenna connector, the overall maximum ERP or other technical parameters must not exceed the permitted levels set out in the Interface Requirement

So you can use an external/replacement antenna as long as the ERP is no more than 500mW.

But anycase, why is this being discussed on this forum, shouldn't it be on the PMR/low power devices forum??
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

That was my understanding too..... hand-portable, fixed antenna and 500mW
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
GlasgowSnapper

Post by GlasgowSnapper »

The document I posted is the most up to date, as far as I am aware. The bit warning about using amateur or PBR kit doesn't say that you aren't allowed to, it merely points out that you should be aware that said kit is capable of exceeding the regs. The offence isn't using the wrong kit, it's breaking the power/frequency regs.

You can use whatever radio/antenna you want, provided the ERP doesn't exceed 500mW and you don't transmit out of band.
2M0FRA
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

GlasgowSnapper wrote:You can use whatever radio/antenna you want, provided the ERP doesn't exceed 500mW and you don't transmit out of band.
Who is responsible for verifying the ERP of your particular configuration?

This is what type acceptance used to be for...
GlasgowSnapper

Post by GlasgowSnapper »

kr0ne wrote:
GlasgowSnapper wrote:You can use whatever radio/antenna you want, provided the ERP doesn't exceed 500mW and you don't transmit out of band.
Who is responsible for verifying the ERP of your particular configuration?

This is what type acceptance used to be for...
The operator is.

However, in the case of a complaint, presumably OFCOM would test the ERP, as part of their investigation.

In most cases, people are going to be using off-the-shelf kit designed specifically for PMR446 which (hopefully) meets the conditions for operating licence-free, so this isn't an issue.

The point I'm trying to make is that there doesn't appear to be a specific type approval for PMR446, only a set of conditions that allow you to use the specified frequencies licence-free. If you choose to use equipment that is capable of exceeding these conditions, then the onus is on you to ensure that you are compliant.

The situation is not helped by there being several, apparently contradictory, documents in circulation.
2M0FRA
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

In the days of the Radiocommunications Agency, their factsheets and info were easy to read and told you what you needed to know. Now with Ofcom, trying to research something on their website is a nightmare and takes ages to find the information needed, and then the time to interpret it :(
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

There are usually various documents released during different phases - initial consultation with stakeholders, drafts, responses, further drafts and then the final version... then they might look to revise it after a while and go through a similar process again.

You should be able to work out which is correct fairly easily though as all should have dates and full titles describing what they are.

I have to say though, I find it a bit odd that Ofcom would expect consumer level end users to be able to ensure the compliance of their own equipment combinations and modifications etc. I mean, we are talking about people who are not be expected to have any technical knowledge at all or the ability to make calibrated measurements...