DX 394 B

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
andyhaycocks
New User
New User

DX 394 B

Post by andyhaycocks »

Morning
i was wondering if someone may be able to help me out on a problem, im new to radio listening and i recently brought a Realistic dx 394 b so that i can listen in to air craft chat. the problem being i want to tune in to 122.7250 but dont know how to on the reciever i have can anyone give me an idiots guide please ?

thanks

andy
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Re: DX 394 B

Post by fez »

the dx394 is a HF receiver 0.5-30mhz. The freq you want to listen to is in the 122mhz area.

You will need to buy a radio scanner where it's coverage covers 122mhz (airband) area.
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

You'll not get normal ATC on your DX 394 as fez has pointed out, but you will be able to listen to loads of hf aircraft traffic, it possibly more interesting stuff to listen to as well, search the airband section for hf frequencies or give google a coat of looking at. If you look up Stockholm radio's website (the English version) they list their frequencies and have regularly updated MUF charts.
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
andyhaycocks
New User
New User

Post by andyhaycocks »

northern35s wrote:You'll not get normal ATC on your DX 394 as fez has pointed out, but you will be able to listen to loads of hf aircraft traffic, it possibly more interesting stuff to listen to as well, search the airband section for hf frequencies or give google a coat of looking at. If you look up Stockholm radio's website (the English version) they list their frequencies and have regularly updated MUF charts.
when i scan through the channels i dont seem to pick up anything on sw ? the antenna is one that is in the radio itself would i need to get an outside antenna to recieve more ? and bisically if i want to listen to aircraft get another scanner ? cant seem to pick up anything except radio stations on mw ?
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

The telescopic antenna isn't the best, but with a good length of wire you should be able to make something that will receive HF aircraft transmission, but if it's ATC / VHF you want then you'll have to buy a scanner of some sort.

Where abouts are you?
andyhaycocks
New User
New User

Post by andyhaycocks »

im in the south west, Bristol.
i will try attaching a length of wire to the antenna, is it then basically start from the bottom and run through all the channels till you hear something to tune into ?
do you know of any frequencies i can try to tune to in this area with poor reception.
sorry to ask such novice questions

thanks
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

Hi Andy, I'm no where near you, but someone may come on this thread that is in your area that could show you.

Anyway try:

Stockholm Radio, their website has the list of frequencies they monitor, so a/c will call them on these frequencies, their site also has a propogation forecast.

G4NSJ has a list of frequencies and bands on his page, this should give you an idea of what you're listening to.

As for long wire, I'm talking very long in the region of 30 to 60 feet, however I can't remember what the back of the radio looks like, but I'm pretty sure there's provision for a long wire, for ideas regarding a long wire see the search results below:

TM1 search for long wire

HTH