Welz SP-350 calibration help.

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
ScotchEgg
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM742

Welz SP-350 calibration help.

Post by ScotchEgg »

I have the above Welz meter arrived today in stunning condition, even the box is like new (I'll add pics later). Anyway SWR readings are spot on, and all functions work BUT power readings arent accurate. It shows 4w when its 5w on the 5w scale (acceptable), 16w when its 20w on the 20w scale and 77w when its actually 100w on the 200w scale (not acceptable :( ).

When switched to the second sensor (130-500mhz) its shows slightly low again on 2m and 70cm compared with the actual power being tx'd, again SWR readings fine on 2 & 70.

Anyway, where can I get it calibrated without it costing a fortune and hopefully not too far from Northants?
The legend of the "Scotch Egg".
"unique in my duplicity"

UGLY BOB on SCOTCH EGG... "I kinda had you pictured as the sort who would enjoy beating the bejesus out of people with a four foot dildo."
ScotchEgg
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Welz SP-350 calibration help.

Post by ScotchEgg »

Not bad pics considering I took them on my fone :lol:
"unique in my duplicity"

UGLY BOB on SCOTCH EGG... "I kinda had you pictured as the sort who would enjoy beating the bejesus out of people with a four foot dildo."
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Callum, how do you know the 'actual' power being TX'd, and don't forget that to give an accurate reading the antenna has to be exactly 50 ohms (ie a 1:1 SWR.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
ScotchEgg
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ScotchEgg »

Compared to other trusted meters and using a dummy load (inc a better spec Welz).
"unique in my duplicity"

Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

OK. If you are certain the other meters are correct and the SWR is 1:1, then the meter must be off cal. There will be pots inside for setting the indication.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
ScotchEgg
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ScotchEgg »

cheers Andy, Id rather someone in the know did it with proper equipment to check it all tbh, Good chance I would make it worse :lol:
"unique in my duplicity"

Clint
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM360

Post by Clint »

Callum I would calibrate it inline with the meters you have, that way all your meters will read the same and you will be happy, THEN if you want a real reference meter I would get you other one that you said was the better of the two calibrated inline with a Bird throughmeter which is a good standard in RF Measurements, I have one here but am too far away from you.
26-TM-360
Old 80's Radios and lots of them - Vintage Computers especially late 70's C=PETS :)
ScotchEgg
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ScotchEgg »

Thanks for the input, the better model Welz I was referring to isnt mine it was here on loan. Id rather just get it checked and aligned by someone who can calibrate it accurately from the get go I think. Better than me thinking its right :lol:
"unique in my duplicity"

5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 5thElement »

Castle Electronics?

http://www.hamradiosales.co.uk/CASTLE-1A.htm

I reckon the labour costs and postage might not make it worth your while though..
2E0XGA
ScotchEgg
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ScotchEgg »

Money no object they would be my 1st choice :(
"unique in my duplicity"

ScotchEgg
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by ScotchEgg »

Ok I had a play with this just now and on non resonant bands, i.e: using my 20m dipole on 17m (internal ATU ON) it shows full 100w but not on 20m where it IS resonant and it IS txing at 100w, lol. Same goes on my vertical 10m it shows low where resonant. Turn ATU on say 12m it shows 100w on the meter :lol:

Am I suffering some odd feedback RF mix up issue or similar thats over my head thats making the meter read out on resonant antenna/band combo's and clears on bands where the ATU is used?

Turning the ATU on 20m whilst using a resonant ant doesnt make any difference :?
"unique in my duplicity"