Eureka- home base antenna

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
W-U-B
Regular
Regular

Eureka- home base antenna

Post by W-U-B »

In the never ending quest for one antenna to cover HF+ 6m I have found it.

Moonraker GPA2500

With my ATU it tunes on all bands 160m-6m.

26TM642
Banned
Banned

Re: Eureka- home base antenna

Post by 26TM642 »

A piece of wet string will tune up 160-6m with an ATU. If you're having to use an ATU and you're feeding it with co-ax, you're going to have really horrific losses in that co-ax. It is quite feasible to end up with 10% or less of the power going out of your set actually being radiated from the antenna which is real serious if you're a FL or IM licence holder.

Where is the other half of the antenna? Have you grounded the ATU well? If I were you, I'd not be touching the co-ax when you TX. If your ATU has a built in SWR meter, transmit a carrier on CW and put your hand near the ATU. If the SWR meter moves, the ATU has hot RF on it which can give you real serious RF burns and you need to get a RF grounding system sorted.

Any antenna needing an ATU is best fed with ladderline or by using a remote antenna coupler at the base of the antenna to minimise losses.
dean_aberdare
Silent Key
Silent Key

Post by dean_aberdare »

Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but tuning is one thing, efficiency is another! I got an ATU that can tune a nail literally on top band but can I work anybody? I guess you know the answer Good Luck report back with results
MW0TMI / 2W0XTP / MW6VHF

Yaesu Ft-920, Yaesu MD-200 , Trap Dipole, 150ft End-Fed and 3Ele 6m Beam, Western HF Dipole.
Kenwood G707 Dual Band VHF TM163010

*Message from Admin - Dean Sadly passed away in May 2012. R.I.P. Dean.
W-U-B
Regular
Regular

Post by W-U-B »

I only put it up on Sat, I haven't had that much time to play with it, I used it on 20m 6m and top band yesterday and it's on a par with the G5RV in the picture

On 6m I am hearing stations that I just can't get on the G5
JamesA
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JamesA »

Its a pretty big stick innit! Will have a look at the web site when i get a mo but i presume its along the same lines as the Comet all band vertical?
M6JCA -> 2E0JCA

Yaesu FT-897, FT-857D (In car), FT-817D & Wouxun KG-UVD1P
Full wave 40M wire loop for HF, Watson V2000 for 2, 70 & 6
HRD Logbook: http://www.hrdlog.net/ViewLogbook.aspx?user=2E0JCA
W-U-B
Regular
Regular

Post by W-U-B »

JamesA wrote:Its a pretty big stick innit!
Compared to my ickle 2m 70cm collinear it is.

I have seen the Comet up close and personal and TBH I can't tell the difference between the 2, both 23 odd ft high, both base loaded, in fact the only difference I could see is the Moonraker is over a ton cheaper