el espanol HF portable

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
Scott_93
Call Sign: Sunray20Alph

el espanol HF portable

Post by Scott_93 »

Ok, so I'm hoping to do my advanced license at the later end of this year, now I've found a lovely MAHOSIVE hill on the coast with a clear path straight out over the med, so when I have my advanced I'm going to pay a visit with my 857 and MFJ 945 tuner. The only thing that I need to work out is the ariel, My initial thoughts are with a longwire but I'm also thinking alot about a modified CB whip for 10/15/20 (like I said I have a tuner so the 20 and the 10 shouldn't really be a problem).

Anyone got any advice or ideas to put forward ?

Cheers and 73's all :)

Scott.
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Re: el espanol HF portable

Post by fez »

If your static mobile then you want something a bit better than a modified CB whip.

you could think of a custom 1/4 wave for 20m that goes ontop of the car for fast deployment. Even a CB base antenna should work better.
Scott_93

Post by Scott_93 »

just to clarify, there will be no vehicle involved, just me, a car battery, 857, tuner and whatever the ariel is going to be.

I actually thought about one of them telescopic fishing poles and a bit of wire + earth counterpoise to make a crude but effective vert.

Thoughts?

Scott.
JamesA
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JamesA »

Or an inverted V with the fishing pole as the centre?
M6JCA -> 2E0JCA

Yaesu FT-897, FT-857D (In car), FT-817D & Wouxun KG-UVD1P
Full wave 40M wire loop for HF, Watson V2000 for 2, 70 & 6
HRD Logbook: http://www.hrdlog.net/ViewLogbook.aspx?user=2E0JCA
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

Any decent sized trees on the hilltop Scott?
Scott_93

Post by Scott_93 »

Don't think there is actually, for all that are wondering, here's a map of it Google Maps

Scott.
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

James's suggestion is a good option then Scot, better than a small vetical. Open wire feeder to ATU would be my preference, ground rod to ATU if its doable.
Scott_93

Post by Scott_93 »

Yupp, Im sure I can find a metal pole lying around somewhere to act as a ground, looks like I'm going to run with the Inverted V idea :)

Thanks all,
Scott.
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

assuming that this cliff is adjacent to the sea, run your counterpoise wire with a big lead fishing weight off the end
directly into the sea. The density of salt (sodium chloride) in the sea makes it THE most fantastic ground plane .

the "roach pole" vertical with a helix of wire wrapped around it works well as a resonator - but remember to get a
GRP one as carbon fibre is conductive.

My largest scale portable antenna ever was a 5/8 over 1/4 wire collinear for 20m , lofted by a Large (Dan Leigh designed)
delta kite and counterpoised off a length of copper wire with about 200ft of it bare , lobbed into the sea off the cliff .

BOY! did that work ;-))

west coast USA 5 & 9 with 5W

regards

BB

ps - cultivate your local kite shop as kite reels are a VERY good way to wind up long lengths of counterpoise wire
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

Just a quick note, banging a piece of metal into the ground is good for lightning strikes, but no good as an RF earth. A few counterpoise wires are best, preferably cut for the bands you intend to use. It looks like running something into the sea isn't an option when I checked the map, but you should still have a great take off for HF. I work pedestriam mobile from Blackpool sea front, I can vouch for the benefit of being by the sea ;)
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot