DMR

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

DMR

Post by Werthers »

I've been a bit disappointed with DMR lately mainly due to lack of use and people saying they have "moved to DMR" its always the same small handful of the same users on various talk groups and boring conversations. I wont mention calls signs, I am grateful for those few people trying to keep the mode alive "UHF" but half the time its dead. At times analog has been much more active in fact to my surprise 4 meters FM got pretty active with about 15 people on a net which I did not expect. Anyway I'm rambling now.

I wanna try DMR simplex soon.
2E0UCW
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0UCW

Re: DMR

Post by 2E0UCW »

Phoenix has a bot of UK WIde activity but then people move to the user activiated talk groups. There's also a fair mount of local and regional activity. There is a net on TG840 (East England) every thursday at 20:00 which gets people joining in from numerous regions. Live monitor : http://phoenix-e.opendmr.net/

Brandmeister offers more internationally and there is a fair bit of international traffic if you watch the dashboard. Most BM repeaters have very few talk groups as always on so you need to activiate the talk group to hear the traffic. Many BM users tend to use a hotspot and through the BM website they can set static talk groups. Live Monitor : https://brandmeister.network/?page=lh

In some areas, DMR simplex was quiet popular due to the lack of repeaters and is still widley used in some regions - worth giving it a try as some users do tend to monitor the frequencies and with the newer radios, they pick up if the transmission is analogue or digital (as the simplex frequencies are the same on analogue and digital except the calling channel and 70cm digital also has 8 unofficial frequencies that were in use from the eary days of DMR).
Motorola DM4600 ; Anytone 578 ; Anytone 868 ; Anytone 878 Plus
Whistler TRX-1 ; DV Mega ; Duplex Hotspot ; Zumspot USB
www.dmrguide.uk ; www.dmr-uk.net
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

Can I run my own ID on simplex? I don't have an issue with registering for an official ID (that's how DMR was designed to work, after all), but it's pointless me having one as I don't live near any links that would require it. I was going to stay away from the traditional ID format length and just go for something very obviously not an official subscriber ID, like 345 or something. That way there's no chance of colliding with an official ID issued to someone else, but it's enough to make the radio software happy.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

It's actually not how DMR was designed to work. It was never intended to become a worldwide system like the amateur DMR system has become.

To answer your question, the DMR ID you're talking about is only needed to use amateur DMR networks so if you're using simplex (or a different DMR system) then you have no reason to follow the amateur DMR ID numbering.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
JohnB57
Call Sign: G0SJB

Post by JohnB57 »

radiosification wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 07:05 It's actually not how DMR was designed to work. It was never intended to become a worldwide system like the amateur DMR system has become.
Absolutely correct. And that, together with the constant wringing out of tiny bits of unnecessary additional functionality and the need to constantly update codeplugs, has turned what was a beautifully simple to operate mode Into something quite niche. Add to that the willy waving and politics we're all accustomed to in the UK hobby and it was inevitable that this would happen.
2E0UCW
Regular
Regular

Post by 2E0UCW »

Code plugs do not need constant updating - just as with any amateur radio, should there be a repeater go off or on air that you wish to use, you will needed this removed or added to the code plug.
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

2E0UCW wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 21:58 Code plugs do not need constant updating - just as with any amateur radio, should there be a repeater go off or on air that you wish to use, you will needed this removed or added to the code plug.
Does the "contacts" list not get updated every month?
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

thelad wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 05:27 Does the "contacts" list not get updated every month?
There are some websites that generate it as often as you want, on demand. But the user database is completely optional.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
26mb04
Call Sign: 26DG01

Post by 26mb04 »

That's great, I'll roll my own ID for the time being. It'll also help to make sure my mistakes are confined to an acceptable radius.
Sent from my GP300 using DTMF
2E0UCW
Regular
Regular

Post by 2E0UCW »

Updating the contacts list on a daily, weekly or monthly basis is not critical to the operation