Can you listen to DMR without a DMR I.D

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Can you listen to DMR without a DMR I.D

Post by Werthers »

Hi I really hope somebody can help me here as I'm going out of my mind.

I was told I could listen to DMR Amatuer radio transmissions without having a DMR I.D

I've just dug out a DMR radio as I'm at a lose with my Hytera PD785.

I have programed in GB7NS color code 3 slot 2 but I hear nothing other than a light is on that indicates there is activity. I just want to listen only. Is that possible?

I'm using a Hytera DMR PD705 LT, the programming software looks very complex so I've not a clue what I'm doing.
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Can you listen to DMR without a DMR I.D

Post by thelad »

Have you got the Tg correct? I listen to them with no "ID" fine.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

thelad wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 18:35 Have you got the Tg correct? I listen to them with no "ID" fine.
I've gone to contact list, call Alias I've got 3 Digital repeaters programed in so I've added 3 I had nothing in there before so I've now put some names in. I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm determine to get my head around this DMR stuff.

I put GB7NS in 1
GB7AK in 2
GB7HR in 3

Here a picture I done not sure if I've done it right...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

Assuming hytera programming is the same as all the other DMR radios I've used, you need to make a group list and put in there all the talkgroups you want to hear. Then assign that to the channel. You'll need a channel for each timeslot on the repeater (so two)
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

radiosification wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 19:24 Assuming hytera programming is the same as all the other DMR radios I've used, you need to make a group list and put in there all the talkgroups you want to hear. Then assign that to the channel. You'll need a channel for each timeslot on the repeater (so two)
How would I do that?

I just tried giving the channels names then adding the same name to the channel Alias but got the same results and not hearing anything other than the green light is on showing activity on the repeater.

I have 11 channels programed

I have 8 simplex channels analog then I have the 3 Digital repeaters. Time slots are set to 2
1. GB7NS unable to hear anything
2. GB7AK unable to hear anything
3. GB7HR unable to hear anything
4. Analog Simplex
5. Analog Simplex
6. Analog Simplex
7. Analog Simplex
8. Analog Simplex
9. Analog Simplex
10. Analog Simplex
11. Analog Simplex

I get the same channel frequency on channel 4 from 4 to 11.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

I'm at a total loss I've followed youtube videos and tried to understand how to listen to repeaters and I still can't figure it out {bnghd} {bnghd} {bnghd}

How do I make a list of talk groups that I want to hear?

How do I assign that to a channel?
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

You need to find an amateur band codeplug for the Hytera DMR PD705 LT, many amateur groups have them, then reverse engineer the digital repeater data to suit your local repeaters..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Look through the programming software. There should be an option somewhere to add group calls. Then there should be another area where you can add group calls into a list. Then in the options for each digital channel there should be somewhere to assign that group list you made to that channel
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Just looked at the screenshot you posted more carefully. You need to actually find all the talkgroups/groups (same meaning) online that are used on the repeater. The name you call it doesn't make any difference to the radio side of things. The number is the important bit.

If you don't understand DMR programming at all then go on YouTube and search for my video titled tyt md380 programming for amateurs. It's not exactly the same programming software but it should be very similar.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

radiosification wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 20:53 Just looked at the screenshot you posted more carefully. You need to actually find all the talkgroups/groups (same meaning) online that are used on the repeater. The name you call it doesn't make any difference to the radio side of things. The number is the important bit.

If you don't understand DMR programming at all then go on YouTube and search for my video titled tyt md380 programming for amateurs. It's not exactly the same programming software but it should be very similar.
Hi thanks for the info I've watched your video and I can kinda make sense of it but putting that info into the Hytera 705 LT CPS I just can not find the talk group list or what it would be under. I don't know if it would be under a different name but I'm just totally lost with the Hytera software. All I can find is the contact list and call alias I've got the talk group info for GB7NS from the repeater group site but I just can't see where I'd enter that in to the Hytera programing software, I entered it into the contact list but it doesn't look right to me.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

That is right. You enter each talkgroup that you want to hear as a contact and make sure it's a group call (not private/individual call).

I just looked online and saw that the group list is in the menu called Rx group list. Just add all the groups you made into a group list and then select it on the channel (right below the RX frequency on that channel's settings page)
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

Just when I thoght I had it figured out still nothing on RX.

I did all the talk groups and assigned all the channels but still can't hear nothing.

I watched your video about 10 times going over everything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

There are a lot more groups these days than when I made the video. Please look online for the latest talkgroups. It's likely you just didn't hear anything because someone was using a talkgroup you don't have programmed in. GB7NS is on the phoenix network now. If you go to their website you'll find a listing of talkgroups. There's also an activity monitor so you can see who is talking on which group on all the repeaters. Use this to see the group being used if you can't hear anything and add that group in to your radio.

Also depending on the radio, the light will turn green if there's activity on either timeslot. Make sure you have two channels for the repeater. One set to timeslot one, the other timeslot two. If you don't hear anything on one of them it may be on the other.

It looks like you programmed in everything right though so once you add the group's being used then you should hear something.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Also since you're not transmitting make sure to tick the RX only box. This stops you from accidentally transmitting through the repeater.
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

Probably a good idea I disable transmit for now :mrgreen:

I've got GB7NS on Slot 1 and another channel on GB7NS Slot 2.

So the scan list will scan everything in the talk group in the list I created right? on either slot 1 or slot 2.

I have my Baofeng UV-5R monitoring 439.1625 MHz so I'm able to hear the Digital noise but on the Hytera PD 705 LT I just get the green light to indicate activity which comes on every minute or so, my guess is that, that's a Morse on GB7NS or something but I can't hear nothing through the Hytera PD705 LT.

I'll leave the Hytera Radio on and wait for some activity, then see if I hear anything.