TYT MD-9600

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Re: TYT MD-9600

Post by Auldgeek »

humaxf1 wrote:That's interesting... I've been playing around with the CPS (v1.12) which only allows UHF on VFO-A and VHF on VFO-B

Is there a later CPS to allow same band on both VFOs or a firmware update?

EDIT

I installed v1.18 and i see it makes available, all channels (mix of VHF and UHF) to be moved into A or B.
As you have discovered, 1.18 is the latest CPS. The latest official firmware version is 3.29
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

kilimax wrote:One of the biggest complaints of this new radio is the volume control (or lack of it).
When I experienced this issue, it occurred to me that the control acted in a linear fashion. You get nothing then boom, you nearly keeck yourself, it's that loud.
Well, it now appears that TYT have fitted a B taper control which is indeed linear. A taper is log and should have been used.

Oops! :thumbdown:

So, unlikely to be fixed in firmware. I wonder what TYT will do?
There is a way to fix this that involves shunting the wiper control to ground via a resistor but that would invalidate your warranty wouldn't it? Maybe the dealer (Moonraker) will provide such a service.

Anyway, bit of a schoolboy error if you ask me.
After thinking about this issue, I decided it was worth carrying out the modification as the chances of a recall from TYT were next to zero. Yes, the correct way would be to replace the volume control but the resistor mod was easy enough and has now provided more control over the audio.
The audio is still somewhat unbalanced between DMR and analogue but it is now easily controlled.

So for anyone interested, you place a 1k resistor between the wiper and ground (as shown in the photo)

Auldgeek - Drew

humaxf1
Regular
Regular

Post by humaxf1 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, does the MD9600 have a monitor mode in DMR?

A monitor mode which will decode voice in VFO mode regardless of CC and TG set from the CPS and in turn show you the CC and TG for the frequency on screen?

Thanks
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

yes it does - on a per channel basis - but the channel must be programmed first as a DMR channel

I believe it decodes all CCs as well - not just talkgroups

you need to programme a button (P1-P4) to set it running - doesnt work with scan AFAIK

regards

BB
humaxf1
Regular
Regular

Post by humaxf1 »

Right, okay - so it does *not* work in VFO mode which would essentially (in theory) make it act like a BCD536 or DV1.

In my MD380, I have a number of zones named unknown 1, 2, 3 and so on which contain 16 default channels. I then FPP the frequency, slot and try each CC until I hear voice traffic.

Thanks for the heads up on the 9600.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

humaxf1 wrote:Right, okay - so it does *not* work in VFO mode which would essentially (in theory) make it act like a BCD536 or DV1.

In my MD380, I have a number of zones named unknown 1, 2, 3 and so on which contain 16 default channels. I then FPP the frequency, slot and try each CC until I hear voice traffic.

Thanks for the heads up on the 9600.
If you are thinking of buying one, I would hang fire. The one I purchased was from the very first run and is riddled with bugs.
Now, most of these are fixable in firmware but there's some hardware issues, the main ones being the linear pot fitted as a volume control and the massive squelch thump which turns out to be an incorrect capacitor value in the audio gate circuit.

There's a raft of documented issues that plague folk, although TYT are working their way through these with firmware updates.
Additionally, the RSSI indicator doesn't work properly and for some folk (myself included), the squelch threshold is too high. Both of these levels can be adjusted in CPS but values differ for each radio (bizarrely)

It has a good receiver, audio is good and TX is stable but just too many silly bugs need fixing. I'm sure TYT will get it right but unfortunately for me and plenty others, we have become beta testers.

Anyway, I would keep you money for now.
Auldgeek - Drew

humaxf1
Regular
Regular

Post by humaxf1 »

Cheers Kilimax.

You'd think they would release the radios only with at least only 1% full of bugs. Then again, the price point, while considering all the features is fantastic, you do get what you pay for.

Speaking of price, has Moonraker upped the price for a 9600? I'm almost sure it was less than £280 <current price> (incl prog cable) in August
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

humaxf1 wrote:Cheers Kilimax.

You'd think they would release the radios only with at least only 1% full of bugs. Then again, the price point, while considering all the features is fantastic, you do get what you pay for.

Speaking of price, has Moonraker upped the price for a 9600? I'm almost sure it was less than £280 <current price> (incl prog cable) in August
I paid £249 for mine so it has went up by £30.

Don't get me wrong, the radio is very good and it does work. It's just that the bugs are very annoying. TYT have been very good at releasing updates and hopefully, they will get everything ironed out. The later versions should also have the hardware fixes so it will be better in that respect.

Retevis have also released a clone of this called the RT-90 so look out for this soon. Normally, Retevis are slightly cheaper than TYT.
Auldgeek - Drew

humaxf1
Regular
Regular

Post by humaxf1 »

Never dawned on me about a Retevis clone. I see them on eBay already around the €330 mark.

I wonder did TYT stipulate a minimum price?
bigbloke
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Nominally Newport (South Wales) but potentially "anywhere"

Post by bigbloke »

retevis = TYT !!

check out the Youtube ukranian video tour of the TYT factory - retevis branded kit all over their production lines!

regards

BB
M3VBS
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by M3VBS »

Can the front end be remote mounted?
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

M3VBS wrote:Can the front end be remote mounted?
There's no remote mount option.
Auldgeek - Drew

M3VBS
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by M3VBS »

Thanks. Back to the hunt for me!
maryhuang
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by maryhuang »

I really like the look of this one. :o
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

maryhuang wrote:I really like the look of this one. :o
There's a number of bugs in the radio that are being worked on so I would be holding back for what some folk are describing as V2.0
That being said, it is packed with features that for the most part, do work. Once the manufacturer sorts out some of the hardware issues, the rest can be done via firmware. Thankfully, TYT seem to be proactive in that front.
Auldgeek - Drew