PTBM125/131 Soft squelch mod?

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

PTBM125/131 Soft squelch mod?

Post by 163TM847 »

These boards don't usually need a soft squelch mod so I have never looked into it before, But I have a PTBM131 here with quite a thumpy squelch, Does anyone know if there is a soft squelch mod for the 125 and above? I don't seem to be able to find any info anywhere, Only for 121 and 059

Cheers.
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: PTBM125/131 Soft squelch mod?

Post by lbcomms »

We've been asked lots of times to do that mod to Cybernet base radios to get rid of the thump sound. Basically isolate the collector of the last squelch switching transistor from the rest of its trace, then link the collector side of the cut to the post that feeds the volume control (the outer terminal that's not ground, not the centre "wiper").

This is for the PTBM125A:

Doesn't completely mute the radio in some cases, more like a 99% reduction, but most owners prefer that to the clunking.
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Re: PTBM125/131 Soft squelch mod?

Post by 163TM847 »

After removing the top lid I could see why the squelch was thumping louder than usual, At the factory, the collector of Q28 was already cut and linked [as seen in the top photo], I removed the link and reconnected the collector, and squelch returned to normal, Why the factory chose to "make it worse" is a little confusing, Anyway, I disconnected the collector again and ran a wire to the pole to the hot side of the volume as you suggested [Hotside [Blue] can be found on P8 right at the very back middle of the PCB] and squelch is now much softer.

DSC03660.JPG
PTBM131 SQUELCH MOD.JPG
lbcomms wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 21:51 We've been asked lots of times to do that mod to Cybernet base radios to get rid of the thump sound. Basically isolate the collector of the last squelch switching transistor from the rest of its trace, then link the collector side of the cut to the post that feeds the volume control (the outer terminal that's not ground, not the centre "wiper").

This is for the PTBM125A:

Doesn't completely mute the radio in some cases, more like a 99% reduction, but most owners prefer that to the clunking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.