SC106 - Audio Quality difference when on UK Band

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
Phuture

SC106 - Audio Quality difference when on UK Band

Post by Phuture »

Anyone get a deterioration in audio quality between when their Cobra is on US bands and switched to the UK band via the Spectrum Comms SC106 board? People are saying the audio is not as good switching to the UK band. As far as I can see, the SC106 is working as the installation instructions set out and all UK frequencies are accessible, accurate (Tx & Rx) and working. :?
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Re: SC106 - Audio Quality difference when on UK Band

Post by Otter »

Are you *sure* the frequency offset for the UK bands is correct? That's the only reason I could see for the deterioration.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

All the Eprom does is changes the binary codes of the PLL to make the channel display match up to the frequency,
the switch would have an off-set connected via a VR to drop from 5khz to 1.25khz.

audio isn't touched, so i'd be checking frequency is correct.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Phuture

Post by Phuture »

Yup, the frequency offset is correct but I am now doubting what some stations who were coming back to me were saying as three stations said my audio sounded good or better on the UK band than the Mids! :roll: I thought the audio would be unaffected, as you say BP, as I can't see how it would from how the SC106 interacts with the PLL synthesiser. I can't hear any difference on my monitor rig but I'll continue to listen to audio reports before deciding if anything needs doing.

Thanks all.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Audio quality is always affected when listening on the US bands as opposed to our UK ones. They seem to talk with some strange accent...
Phuture

Post by Phuture »

:lol: ;)
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

The Collector wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 12:03 Audio quality is always affected when listening on the US bands as opposed to our UK ones. They seem to talk with some strange accent...
Agreed. There should be some kind of filter for that :lol:
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...