Stalker XX - Help with Identifying a cut wire?

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
dodgeyvanner
Regular
Regular

Stalker XX - Help with Identifying a cut wire?

Post by dodgeyvanner »

Hi

Trying to get my stalker XX up and runing and just found what looks to be a cut wire ?, see pic below.
Anyone know where this orange wire connects to, have arrowed in white on the picture where it connects to on the board and where it looks to have been cut. I can see no other orange cut wire that would appear to tbe the other piece of this wire. The radio does have an eprom board fitted, would it need to be cut to account for that?

Its on the PC547-AA board in between the power supply board and the main PCB.?

Thanks!!
wire.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dodgeyvanner
Regular
Regular

Re: Stalker XX - Help with Identifying a cut wire?

Post by dodgeyvanner »

Hi all
If any owners can help with the cut wire be much appreciated, also found VR10 is not fitted, is this as it comes or should VR10 be fitted there?
It’s the MB8719 PC-411AD board version.
bozzy

Post by bozzy »

See link below, there is a clear drawing at the end of that page, it should help, try to find what that wire connects to (C504), then the drawing should help where it goes too.

viewtopic.php?t=16695&start=45

Regards
Bozzy
dodgeyvanner
Regular
Regular

Post by dodgeyvanner »

Hi Bozzy,
Many thanks, if i am reading the diagram right it appears to go to the ch9 led, will have a look in the morning and see what i can see there.
dodgeyvanner
Regular
Regular

Post by dodgeyvanner »

Hi Bozzy,
Many thanks, if i am reading the diagram right it appears to go to the ch9 led, will have a look in the morning and see what i can see there.
dodgeyvanner
Regular
Regular

Post by dodgeyvanner »

Had a look at the channel 9 switch / led and no sign of a cut or missing wire as they all connected and the led does turn on/off so back at square one.
Are there any stalker xx owners who wouldn't mind taking a pic of where this wire goes to so i can get it reconnected.
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

Which components on PC547 does the wire connect to? If it is C504, then that looks like it goes to the HOLD/SCAN/OFF switch.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
dodgeyvanner
Regular
Regular

Post by dodgeyvanner »

I will turn the PCB over and see where the bit of wire I have (see pic at top of post) connects too and whether its the cap C504.
dodgeyvanner
Regular
Regular

Post by dodgeyvanner »

Had a bit of a result when searching 'Stalker XX' on the forum to see if there were actually any other XX owners on the forum as none seem to have appeared on the post as yet, heres the pic I found from another members post below:-
wire pic.jpg
It shows the cut orange wire i am trying to trace (running left to right almost in the middle of screen to the two crystal board) so it appears to be something to do with the HI/Lo channel option, not the CH9 switch as the circuit diagram seems to point at.
Heres a pic of my actual board same view as the pic above:-
cropped.jpg
It looks like the orange wire is soldered to this little board, the blue wire next to that point is soldered directly to the main pcb as can be seen in my pic as it is present.

A picture is worth a 1000 words so still hoping a fellow Stalker XX owner may be able to check on theirs and confirm if its the main board or little board it connects to, thinking if little board then withthe eprom i may not need it, hence why it has been cut. The eprom appears to cover the Mids, Hi's and UK 40 although still no transmit.

Was trying to align it earlier and check what was going on but got as far as step 4 on the alignment instructions I have for the PLL and carrier oscillator and had to stop - as not sure where to connect the frequency counter too?

Step 4 on the alignment instructions says:-
As step 2 - Adjust CT1 - Adjust for 34.98650MHZ on frequency counter

Step 2 says:-
CH SW:19 - Adjust L21 - Connect oscilloscope to R101, adjust for maximum reading on scope
Mode Switch USB

Anyone know where you are supposed to connect the frequency counter too? tried frequency counter on R101 i but i only get 1 point something MHZ not 34.98650mhz which you are supposed to be seeing, so hence why I don't think I am measuring in the right place.

Same with steps 5 & 6 on these instructions it again doesn't appear to say where to conect the frequency counter too for the AM and LSB frequency measurement? Unless R101 is up the shoot!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dodgeyvanner
Regular
Regular

Post by dodgeyvanner »

Also noticed that TR20 is a 2SC710 and fitted the other way round to the screen on the board, I read on the forum that these can be substituted for a "2SC945" providing they are turned the other way round, however TR20 is shown on the schematic as a 2SC1675L.

Is a '2SC710' an acceptable substitute for a '2SC1675L'?
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

dodgeyvanner wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 11:55 Also noticed that TR20 is a 2SC710 and fitted the other way round to the screen on the board, I read on the forum that these can be substituted for a "2SC945" providing they are turned the other way round, however TR20 is shown on the schematic as a 2SC1675L.

Is a '2SC710' an acceptable substitute for a '2SC1675L'?
I would think so it the factory put it there. Is it working OK? If so it's an acceptable substitute.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
dodgeyvanner
Regular
Regular

Post by dodgeyvanner »

Nice one Otter , i was just checking following what I had read about the 945 / 710's on the forum, but it never mentioned the 1675 transistor so was just checking.

My radio is the export with the MB8719 and has the 11.325 crystal (PC-411AD), would anyone have a copy of the alignment instructions for this version please, the version I found is for the MB8734 PLL, not much out there on this one from what I can see, need the 34.765 - 35.205mhz AM setting version if that helps.
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Photo Collector CB RADIO
dodgeyvanner
Regular
Regular

Post by dodgeyvanner »

Thankyou Claude thats perfect!!!
dodgeyvanner
Regular
Regular

Post by dodgeyvanner »

Still no tx as no power to the final area, looking in the area of the AM Regulator TR41/TR42 theres no power on these two items either and discovered that voltage should be coming in via VR10, but VR10 is not fitted and when I looked on the track side of the PCB (where the voltage would come in, it is present on that track before the cut) the track has been cut just before where it would attach to VR10 if it was fitted???

Anyone know if that is correct - or do I need to fit a horseshoe trimmer at position of VR10 as this was someones previous mod for something they were trying to do?

Heres a pic of trackside showing the cut track:-
Untitled.jpg