New expansion - uPD2824 chassis

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

New expansion - uPD2824 chassis

Post by lbcomms »

Before reading this, see the uPD858 version here: viewtopic.php?t=57390

This is a slightly different version to suit the uPD2824 radios that appeared in the early 80's, several years after the 858 disappeared.

Repeated warning - this is intended for people experienced with RF and digital electronics and are comfortable inside a radio. It is NOT a beginner "cut the orange wire and solder it to the green one to make your radio put out 50 watts" style change. This is a "work in progress" project still under development, and may (probably does!) contain bugs. So don't do this on your primary or only radio just yet. Any bug or success reports gratefully appreciated though!!!

The requirements we set for this project are similar to the 858 version. Only #1 has changed for the uPD2824 - these are not as valuable as the 858 when in average condition, so it's not as critical the mods be reversible. The example used in the prototype below cost only $45 from a secondhand store in good physical but electrically partially functional condition. We also broke our "no SMT" rule for this chassis, but only for the broadbanding part because we used components we already had on hand. Broadbanding can be done in the same way with conventional through hole components, or just skipped entirely if you only wanted an extra 40 channels coverage.

Requirements:

1) Only basic physical mods needed, no cut tracks / drilled holes / dremel butchery.
2) No SMT. Not everyone tinkering with old radios has the ability or equipment to work with these tiny devices.
3) No sensitive analog / RF components such as coils / crystals, and little or no wiring where length of cables is critical.
4) Able to give large amounts of "slide" or add dual coarse/fine clarifiers without drift or instability.
5) All components currently / readily available through online sellers such as Ebay / Amazon, or at a pinch Mouser / E14 / Digikey.
6) Cost of parts under AUS$25 (20 USD / Euro / UKP) including the programming hardware.

Only way to achieve this was by going digital. If you've never used a programmable microcontroller before you might have a bit of a learning curve with these. The only semi-critical piece of equipment needed is a bench type frequency counter, at least 7 digits of resolution will be needed, 8 is better (i.e 1Hz resolution at 30 MHz). Having other high end gear (scope, spectrum analyzer) is nice to align the rest the radio, but is not needed to install the mod.

The oscillator used is claimed to be stable at 10ppm, this works out to within 150Hz at the 27Mhz output frequency. If there is not too much temperature variation at the radio, such as in a base station, it's adequate for SSB use. For situations where there are extremes - such as in a car here in Australia where it can get to 50 degrees C (122 Fahrenheit) in the daytime and near freezing at night - we made a stabilizer to make it stable to within a few Hz. It's not included here as it involves tiny SMT component changes but we'll post this later for anyone that wants extreme stability and is able to do the soldering needed.

With this chassis, the 10.695 MHz carrier oscillator stage (crystal and 3 adjustable inductors) was thought to be more of a potential drift source, but this turned out to be a non-issue when it was tested after the mods were completed in an environmental chamber (basically a big programmable combination oven and refrigerator). The frequency was set to spot on at at 20 degrees C (68 degrees F), then measured for change after an hour at each one.

-10 degrees C (14 degrees F): -30Hz
+10 degrees C (50 degrees F): -20Hz
+20 degrees C (68 degrees F): 0Hz (set point)
+30 degrees C (86 degrees F): +15Hz
+40 degrees C (104 degrees F): +35Hz
+50 degrees C (122 degrees F): +65Hz
+60 degrees C (140 degrees F): +80Hz
+75 degrees C (167 degrees F): +150Hz

As long as the radio stays in the 0 to 35 degree (0 to 95 Fahrenheit) range the drift will be barely noticeable. The high stab version should be good for no more than 5Hz drift across the above temperature range, but will at least double the cost of the components needed to do the conversion.

The conversion was done in 3 stages - getting it working correctly as a standard radio, broadbanding it to cover the required frequency range, and finally expanding the frequency coverage. The second stage proved to be the most problematic, this chassis is rather narrow banded, but we got there in the end.

Stage one - repair the radio

The old 10V electrolytics had to go

The radio after repairing

First step was to get the radio working as a standard 40 channel unit. It had good AM carrier but low / distorted modulation, less than 5W on SSB with "fuzzy" audio, and a long delay on Rx when first turned on.

Fortunately this example had never been previously repaired or modified, and just needed a fresh set of electrolytics and a meter light. A small modification was done to allow it to receive without having to have a mic plugged in (requested by the owner so he could later wire up a ham mike that does not have Rx switching contacts), change one transistor and add another. A bit of deoxit in the controls and a full alignment and it was working better than the day it was sold.

The radio was returned to the owner to use for a week to make sure there were no intermittent faults lurking that could have caused headaches later on.
Last edited by lbcomms on 25 Apr 2021, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: New expansion - uPD2824 chassis

Post by lbcomms »

Stage two - broadband the radio

Next, the PLL was jury rigged (PLL IC tuning voltage output replaced with a pot, allowing the radio to be swept over its full tuning range), initially to make sure the VCO covered the range requested by the owner. It didn't, so the VCO varactor was replaced - this gave the coverage needed, but the transmit power and receive sensitivity dropped off rapidly outside of the FCC range. We'd had this "2824 chassis bandwidth" problem a few years before and found back then the only way to overcome it was to make the transmit and receive mixers tunable. The RF stages are fairly broad and can be left as is.

Jury rigged PLL. Resistor and diode removed, green is pot cold, red is pot hot, yellow is pot wiper

Close up of the replacement VCO varactor diode (SMT type used, so mounted on print side of PCB)

Radio was then wired for tunable mixers.

Tx mixer IC pins 3 and 3 fitted with tinned copper wire, another wire goes through hole near C39 for the Rx mixer

Wire connection points on print side of board circled in red

Ignore the grey SMT capacitor added to the Rx mixer area, that component was only temporary.

Trackwork changes to the receive mixer area

- Centre tap pin isolated from ground
- Unused pin connected to ground
- Wire added from other side of the board connected to the centre tap previously isolated

Next, the two tuning boards were made on perfboard / veroboard. SMT parts were used because we had them in hand, but equivalent through hole components would work just as well.

Cut to size and traces cut. Top is transmit tuner, bottom is receive

Components loaded. BB639 diodes used, through hole equivalent is BB809

Tx mixer tuning board fitted

Rx mixer tuning board fitted (pic taken after one diode was removed during tracking testing)

The tuned varactor stages need to "track" each other as closely as possible for best RF performance, so this was done next.

Starting with the transmit mixer, a line showing the RF peak frequency vs tuning voltage was drawn up. Setting the voltage to 8V and peaking the transformer at 28.5 MHz gave a peak at 26.2 MHz with a tuning voltage of 2V. The Rx tracking was far more sudden, 4V giving a peak at 26.2 and falling rapidly after that to the point where it was deaf at 2V.

One diode was removed and it tracked the Tx voltage a lot closer, with the 26.2 peak coming in at 2.5V. Close enough, given the owner only wants 3 bands of 40 anyway.

The VCO tuning voltage was then changed to copy the range. The tracking was too gradual, needing 0.5V to create an RF frequency of 26.2MHz, so C77 (33pF) needed to go higher to make the VCO more responsive to tuning voltage. Putting a 22pF in parallel (total capacitance 55pF) did the trick, making the VCO track an RF frequency of 26.3 - 28.5 MHz for a tuning voltage of 2.2 - 8.0V, more than close enough. Didn't have a suitable 56pF capacitor to replace C77, so left the 22pF SMT one there after cleaning up where I'd been experimenting with the values needed to match the tuning voltage trackings.
Last edited by lbcomms on 25 Apr 2021, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

The tuning voltage is sourced from the PLL DC tuning voltage test point

Tuning voltage connected to the mixer tuning boards

22pF capacitor added to the VCO circuit to make the PLL tuning voltages match the mixer curves

Stage three - expand the radio

This proved to be easier than doing the broadbanding...

The control board was changed slightly from the 858 version

- Tx signal is now only 9 volts (the 858 was 13.8V), so the resistor was changed from 22K down to 10K
- Supply voltage is now 9V (sourced from the big green transistor near the audio IC)
- USB signal input now only operates on USB (was USB and AM transmit on the 858)

Parts removed to disable the original SSB offsets

Remove R117, R118, R119, D27, D28, D29, and VR3. Leave the holes open an some of the Nano wires connect to where these components once were.

Replace D27 with a wire link

Remove D31 and D32.

Put the radio on AM, connect a frequency counter to pin 14 of the PLL IC, and adjust L16 to the centre of its range of tunable frequencies.
For example, if it allows adjustment to go from 10.238 to 10.240, set it to 10.239 MHz.

Remove D30, replacing it with a ceramic capacitor to set pin 14 to as close as 10.240 MHz as possible (ours needed a 39pF cap to do this).
Leave it for 5 minutes to settle, and re-tune L16 for exactly 10.240000 MHz at pin 14.

Finally, remove the tripler peaking inductor L13. The Adafruit and Nano boards can now be fitted and wired up.

Adafruit board fitted over the top of the PLL IC

Nano board fitted near the mic socket corner of the radio

Wires from the Nano board going to where the components were removed from earlier

+9V USB signal: Purple wire to end of R118
+9V LSB signal: Grey wire to end of R119
+9V TX signal: Brown wire to the centre pin of VR3

Both boards fitted and cables secured neatly in place with zip ties

At this stage the firmware was uploaded to the Nano. This is specific to the uPD2824, the 858 file will not work...

The PC app (also specific to the 2824 version) can then be run to test and configure the installation after connecting the USB cable.

PC app configuring the realistic

The centre of CLK0 was 520Hz low, so this was corrected and set to bring it to exactly 25.000000 MHz.

AM was spot on, no adjustment needed, but USB and LSB were 95Hz high and 45 Hz low respectively.
These were corrected with the app as above to set them exactly onto frequency.

Only a single clarifier pot is on these radios, so the unused "fine" position was disabled.

The coarse was set to the values requested by the owner, 1.8KHz up and down and operating on receive only.

Radio was tested for performance at channel 20 on each of the bands:

25.855 (LO LO LO): Tx power 2W carrier, 3W AM PEP, 5W SSB, Rx 9uV for 10dB SINAD
26.305 (LO LO): Tx power 4W carrier, 14W AM PEP, 15W SSB, Rx 2.5uV for 10dB SINAD
26.755 (LO): Tx power 5W carrier, 16W AM PEP, 17W SSB, Rx 1.6uV for 10dB SINAD
27.205 (MID): Tx power 5W carrier, 16W AM PEP, 17W SSB, Rx 1.2uV for 10dB SINAD
27.655 (HI): Tx power 5W carrier, 16W AM PEP, 17W SSB, Rx 1.5uV for 10dB SINAD
28.105 (HI HI): Tx power 5W carrier, 14W AM PEP, 15W SSB, Rx 1.6uV for 10dB SINAD
28.555 (HI HI HI): Tx power 3W carrier, 10W AM PEP, 12W SSB, Rx 2.3uV for 10dB SINAD

Radio is usable at best performance over about a 2MHz range (26.3 - 28.3) without further tuning, with careful tuning of the RF and mixer stages it's probable you could squeeze 2.5 or even 3 megs coverage out of it. This wasn't done here as the owner only wanted to cover LO, MID, and HI, and performance is essentially flat across those 3 bands.

The Rx sensitivity was down slightly on the 1uV specification, but close enough to not be noticeable on air.
This could have been caused by the broadbanding mod or possibly a degraded front end of IF stage transistor.

The owner was advised Rx was a but low and told us to leave it as is, so we never got to find out the cause.
After the owner had been using it for a couple of weeks he called and said it was receiving as well or better than his other radios...
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Brilliant Sue !! I've been waiting for this one . I won't be able to start work on my AR144s until later in the year . However , I'll start to buy the parts that I need now , and I'll read through the tutorials to make sure I'm clear on what I'm doing . More to follow from me . Thanks again for this one !

Paul
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Just to add . I'm just going to be doing the frequency mod . I only want the radio to cover the MID and HI , with the +10Khz , so I won't be doing the RX/TX broadband mods . Hopefully it'll cover those 80 channels without any issues .
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

It should do just MID and HI without the need to broadband it, you might have to juggle the mixer alignments a bit to get it even across 1 to 80.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Brilliant post, thank you for continuing to contribute to this site with superb knowledge and information. All our members, and the wider Radio community really appreciate your efforts! :thumbup:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

lbcomms wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 13:29 At this stage the firmware was uploaded to the Nano. This is specific to the uPD2824, the 858 file will not work...

The PC app (also specific to the 2824 version) can then be run to test and configure the installation after connecting the USB cable.
Hi Sue . I'm still making a list of things that I'll need for this job . Where can I download the firmware and app from ?

Thanks

Paul
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

Haven't uploaded them anywhere yet - send us a PM and I'll put them in a rapidshare or similar file locker for you.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

lbcomms wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 19:13 Haven't uploaded them anywhere yet - send us a PM and I'll put them in a rapidshare or similar file locker for you.
PM sent Sue . Some of my bits have arrived . I'll be able to start later in the year .
IMG_20210511_102945.jpg
S.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

Doing 3 of them, you're keen 8)

Started on the third one in the series - an '8719 dual conversion (148 / Grant / Madison) after a suitable radio arrived this week. Still on the lookout for a single conversion version (142 / McKinley / etc) . That should then cover 90%+ of the SSB Unidens out there...
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

lbcomms wrote: 11 May 2021, 19:25 Doing 3 of them, you're keen 8)
I figure that I might need them for some of your upcoming projects Sue :)
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Well. It's that time. Finished most of my other projects , so it's time to give this a go. More to follow ....
IMG_20211016_120505_resize_56.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

cb4ever104 wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 10:07 Well. It's that time. Finished most of my other projects , so it's time to give this a go. More to follow ....
be nice to see the outcome of these as i have two 144 here and a third in for a service..
must be the only decent radio you couldn't do anything with..

be nice to actually use one other than on channel 6 or LSB.
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

bigpimp347 wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 21:00 be nice to see the outcome of these as i have two 144 here and a third in for a service..
Hi Mark .

Yeah . I've got 2 144s and a Cobra 146 GTL . I put the Maurer 2824 mod in the 146 , but I'm going to take it out as you can't add , or modify switches on the 146 due to that stupid front pcb . Well you probably could , but it would be a nightmare . So , my plan is to do Sue's mod on this (guinea pig) 144 . All I'm doing is the HI band and +5/10/15khz . There's enough switches on the front of the 144 to do all that . Then I'll put my Maurer mod in the other (boxed) 144 that I have , and then finally do Sue's mod on the 146 GTL and just use a magnetic switch somewhere to switch between the MID and HI bands .

I haven't really started on this one yet . I printed out an A3 schematic . I then checked the part numbers on Sue's Realistic were the same as the 144s . They seem to be . Then I realised that I didn't have enough veroboard left to build the main processor pcb . So I've ordered some , which should arrive early next week . Once that arrives , then I'll start work on it . I'll keep you , and the rest of the gang posted .

Later

S.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .