Jentec Cobra

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
Nash
Regular
Regular

Jentec Cobra

Post by Nash »

Hi, How can I tell if I have an original Jentec Cobra ? and if I have what difference is there between them ?
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Re: Jentec Cobra

Post by cb4ever104 »

If you post some images of it here then I'm sure someone will be able to help you identify it.
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Nash
Regular
Regular

Post by Nash »

Will ask my friend to send me some as it is his radio, I forgot to say it has a Jentec sticker on the Eprom with a serial number on it, but have been told there are many fakes out there :(
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Real Jentecs are expensive. Jentec stickers are cheap to buy, but buying a radio with a Jentec sticker on it is likely an expensive mistake! Haha
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Yes, there are fakes out there, so a sticker proves nothing sadly. There's even an unpopular individual who's web page shows a Jentec being dremeled into existence (although they deny it).

John Nugent signed and dated the inside of the bottom cover along with a serial number unique to that radio (the side with the speaker). He also signed the inside of the chrome bezel.

As Sammy said some good quality pictures will help us to identify if the radio is genuine or not.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

I think Ashtec and at least one other person besides Cobarawanksox knocked up a few Mk.5s long after John Nugent passed. I've never seen the fascination to be honest, but I guess it's different strokes for different folks.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
Nash
Regular
Regular

Post by Nash »

He is sending me some photos tonight, even if real he wont be selling it as he has had it for so long, he just wants to know if it real. Pity I gave my 148 away in 97, sent it to Barbados for my friend to use.....
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

If some loony is prepared to pay £500+ for one on ebay, he might have a rethink about selling it ;)
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Ashtec's MkV

26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Nash
Regular
Regular

Post by Nash »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nash
Regular
Regular

Post by Nash »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

That looks real enough to me , but I'll leave the final verdict to the experts.
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

Yep, I think people only copied the Mk.5. I love the "4MHz Microprocessor" label. At least on the Mk.5 it was an EPROM.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
Nash
Regular
Regular

Post by Nash »

Thanks guys, if this is a real one, then it must have been an early attempt and even rarer lol. All the ones i see are mk v 1990 on the interweb . He still wont sell it either way, not an investment just had for so many years and would not part with it . Just like I would not part with President Emporor Shogun, had it from new in '97 and it still works great .
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by bigpimp347 »

to be fair it's nothing like mine.
sticker is too new, real ones were a smaller 1" curved corner sticker and were hardly readable and he signed them with his signature.
radiopete was the guy to ask is he still with us on here ??
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!