Cobra 148GTL power mic w/6 wires (no model #)

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
Redbandit
Call Sign: Redbandit07

Cobra 148GTL power mic w/6 wires (no model #)

Post by Redbandit »

Hello, has anyone any info on a vintage "80s or 90's" Cobra power mic, which I've seen regarded as Cobra 148GTL? It has 6 wires, shield, black, red, yellow white and green. The odd thing is, there is no model number on it. I bought it from an estate sale. I am thinking of wiring for a SS 3900G. Just wondering if the 4 pin wiring will change (which I suppose). See photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alan Pilot

Re: Cobra 148GTL power mic w/6 wires (no model #)

Post by Alan Pilot »

I remember them but i also remember the same mike with different names.
Not sure but i don't remember them being up to much.
Ant the wiring just go along with it as the 4 pin forget the cut off wire and id the black with the braid ?.
Redbandit

Post by Redbandit »

The problem I am having, is that I see a lot of the other wirings show a blue wire and no green. And so I am trying to figure out if the blue wire does the same job as the green, except its a different color.
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

same thing as the grey OPEK, euro-cb, pan dm437, i don't think they all used the same wiring colours,

from the pics it looks like white has the braid wrapped around it so that's audio & should be on pin 2 for uniden wiring
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
Redbandit

Post by Redbandit »

Thanks for the reply. The braide is together with black. The order it was in when I got it are the following:
1- Black/shield, 2- Red, 3- White, 4- Green.. The other issue I'm concerned with is, since it's a power mic, will the wiring sequence have any particulars in the color of wires.

I see there's vague variables..
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I know naff-all about mic' wiring but I do know that if I need to change a 4-pin Cybernet-wired mic' to 4-pin Uniden, then with the mic' plug "indent" at either the top or bottom, top left swaps with bottom left and top right swaps with bottom right. You could try that first, but always make a note of where the wires are at the moment.
Black and screen/earth/braid, nearly always go together on a power mic' as a rule.

That's about the total amount of my knowledge! ;)
Redbandit

Post by Redbandit »

Thanks,, when you say, Black and screen /earth and braide, what exactly are those? Black and braide I understand,, what do you mean by screen and earth..?

Jp
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Braid, screen and earth are known terms for the same
bare, unshielded copper wire. Whether or not it's 100% correct I'm not sure :)
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Photo Collector CB RADIO
Redbandit

Post by Redbandit »

Hello Claude, wow this is far out, you found the model number for this Cobra mic, CA71b.. The mic itself doesn't have it etched anywhere, thanks alot. I haven't figured out the wiring pin sequence, but I'll keep at it. I didn't know you had posted this, it just doesn't pop up in an email like with other Cb thread. Thx again Claude.

Wishing you and your family and everyone here a Happy and blessed Thanksgiving..
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

What's one of those thanksgiving things? ;)

We don't celebrate that over here. Saying that, if it's a good excuse for more sprouts and turkey, then I'm up for it! :)
Redbandit

Post by Redbandit »

Ohh, my apologies, I had no idea. Well, then I hope you enjoy the sprouts and turkey. If you don't mind me asking, where IS over there? 73s..
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello

From https://www.britannica.com/topic/Thanksgiving-Day

Thanksgiving Day, annual national holiday in the United States and Canada celebrating the harvest and other blessings of the past year. Americans generally believe that their Thanksgiving is modeled on a 1621 harvest feast shared by the English colonists (Pilgrims) of Plymouth and the Wampanoag people. The American holiday is particularly rich in legend and symbolism, and the traditional fare of the Thanksgiving meal typically includes turkey, bread stuffing, potatoes, cranberries, and pumpkin pie. With respect to vehicular travel, the holiday is often the busiest of the year, as family members gather with one another. Thanksgiving Day is celebrated on Thursday, November 26, 2020.

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello John

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19158

EuroCB DM-437 - Pan DM-437

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO
Redbandit

Post by Redbandit »

Wow Claude, you always seem to out-do yourself..hehe. Good history lesson.. Thx. And, this mic, looks just like mine but has different color and name. If its wiring is compatible to the cobra, perhaps it will work out. I'll try it. Thanks so very much Claude. 73s.