HAM JUMBO HELP PLEASE !

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
Atomik Playboy
Registered New User
Registered New User

HAM JUMBO HELP PLEASE !

Post by Atomik Playboy »

Hi dudes,

Ok so I bought this mark 1 Jumbo in nice condition all seemed fine until the other day i had it switched on receiving and all of a sudden a huge buzz and crackle coming out of the speaker. Also the same happening on TX audio too.
I first checked the power supply at 13.8v and it's fine, I even tried it on a seperate power supply but the problem still exists. I then noticed the squelch mod had been done which i thought it must have as the squelch didn't pop but on SSB if there were no signals the squelch would close even though it was set minimum which i thought was a bit odd. Anyway i have now put the squelch back to standard and even though this buzz/crackle is still there I can just about hear the squelch thumping in so that would seem ok.
I then checked the voltages on the audio amp (TA7205P) according to the schematic i have. Some of the voltages are incorrect but not all. So i replaced the chip with a new one but still no cigar ! So i then looked at pin 6 amp input it shud be 3.4v but is reading low. So i followed it back to Q34 and there should be 3.4v there but it is low there too. I checked the 2 other transistors further back in the chain and they were reading correct voltages. So i pulled Q34 and checked it on a multimeter and it seemed roughly ok as in readings in the correct leg order etc. So i've put that back in circuit and have tested some of the diodes, resistors and capacitors that are around that area and they all check out fine.
I suppose I should try replacing Q34 but it did seem ok on the multimeter unless that is an unreliable way of checking. Im at a bit of a loss now ? {bnghd} So just wondering if any of you guys have any experience as to what could be the issue here? I appreciate any help.

Regards,
Dom.
Atomik Playboy
Registered New User
Registered New User

Re: HAM JUMBO HELP PLEASE !

Post by Atomik Playboy »

Anyone ? .....it doesn't look like there are any tech savvy people on here then :ugeek:
Next port of call is to try and back trace it with an oscilloscope I just purchased 8)

Regards Dom.
John555

Post by John555 »

Did you have any luck dom? Good to know there are other broken jumbos out there :)

What does the buzz and crackle sound like ? Presumably not AC if you were running it on a clean supply? Worth scooping the power rails to see if they are clean, could be a decoupling cap on it's way out ?
1968neil
Regular
Regular

Post by 1968neil »

Quite possibly one of the PCB Thru holes have given up the ghost, Its quite common in radios of this age.
My excalibur had the same issue and i found that by gently poking the thru holes with a small sewing needle helped find the one that was corroded.
Once you find the offender id use a pcb drill to open the connection and pop a vero pin in the hole and then solder up both sides.
This fixed mine and also gives a useful test point for future mods or repairs.
Regards
Neil