Grant Wintransceiver

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
rocketry23
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 109HA161

Grant Wintransceiver

Post by rocketry23 »

Hello!

Can somebody help me with this?
I want to adopt this modification, but the host of the site does not allow to download exe files.
http://malzev.tripod.com/cb-radio/wingrant.htm

The authors email adresses i found on the site do not work.

Can somebody send me the grant.exe, or sombody have any information on the site author, a working email adress maybe?

Thanks!
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Grant Wintransceiver

Post by lbcomms »

One of the files needed is impout16.dll, and it needs a hardware parallel port, so that app is only going to run on a really old computer (pre-USB, such as Windows 3.1 / 95). Something modern like Windows 7, 8, or 10 is not going to allow direct hardware access like that, and a USB to parallel adapter is unlikely to work with anything except a printer.

There are two ways to do it with a modern computer with USB - either use a cheap module like an Arduino as a serial to parallel converter, or control a replacement synth / downmix oscillator from USB to trick the existing PLL into going to a new frequency. Either way, a new 32 or 64 bit application will be needed.

The first method is easier but will limit you to the 10KHz steps of the original PLL chip. The second method is a bit more complex but will allow smaller steps in addition to the 10KHz ones, so 5KHz and UK offsets will be possible.

Video of a PC based VFO mod (using method 2) we did for a regular a couple of years back:

If you want to have a go we can throw a suitable app together, but let us know your skill / equipment abilities first - you'll at least need to be comfortable inside a radio, know basic digital electronics, and able top build perfboard / veroboard circuits to succeed with this one...
rocketry23
Regular
Regular

Post by rocketry23 »

lbcomms wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 14:55 One of the files needed is impout16.dll, and it needs a hardware parallel port, so that app is only going to run on a really old computer (pre-USB, such as Windows 3.1 / 95). Something modern like Windows 7, 8, or 10 is not going to allow direct hardware access like that, and a USB to parallel adapter is unlikely to work with anything except a printer.

There are two ways to do it with a modern computer with USB - either use a cheap module like an Arduino as a serial to parallel converter, or control a replacement synth / downmix oscillator from USB to trick the existing PLL into going to a new frequency. Either way, a new 32 or 64 bit application will be needed.

The first method is easier but will limit you to the 10KHz steps of the original PLL chip. The second method is a bit more complex but will allow smaller steps in addition to the 10KHz ones, so 5KHz and UK offsets will be possible.
Yes I know the how to, and I have the required old notebook with printer port, and Win98, but the problem is that I can't download the exe file. And i can't contact with the author, because of not valid email adress. :(
Last edited by rocketry23 on 06 Jun 2020, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
rocketry23
Regular
Regular

Post by rocketry23 »

lbcomms wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 14:55 If you want to have a go we can throw a suitable app together, but let us know your skill / equipment abilities first - you'll at least need to be comfortable inside a radio, know basic digital electronics, and able top build perfboard / veroboard circuits to succeed with this one...
Sadly I'm not really in programming... That is why i need this soft :) But I'm comfortable inside the radio.
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by lbcomms »

That site looks identical to the wayback mirror taken on the 3rd of August 2002, as far back as the archive would go, so it's not that surprising the email address doesn't work any more. But there is a phone number there, if he's not changed it in 18 years you might be in with a chance...

Won't post it directly here as it may be against the rules to give out peoples private information, so get it from:
https://web.archive.org/web/2002101408 ... /index.htm

Good luck...
rocketry23
Regular
Regular

Post by rocketry23 »

lbcomms wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 20:26 That site looks identical to the wayback mirror taken on the 3rd of August 2002, as far back as the archive would go, so it's not that surprising the email address doesn't work any more. But there is a phone number there, if he's not changed it in 18 years you might be in with a chance...

Won't post it directly here as it may be against the rules to give out peoples private information, so get it from:
https://web.archive.org/web/2002101408 ... /index.htm

Good luck...
Thanks, I'll give it a try :)