president silver color

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: president silver color

Post by JibberJabber »

Revisiting an old thread ....

I’m looking to freshen up a President Adams ... Has any got a good recommendation for the silver and lacquer...?

Cheers

Jason
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

I see Poundland are still doing a silver spray... at a poond... I’ll give it a try...

What Laquer have any of you guys used..?

Cheers

Jason
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

What finish would you like, gloss, satin or matt?
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

I was thinking satin....?.. I know you’ve done some really good stuff over the years... Open to your guidance ...

Probably will have to put a gamma ray decal on too..

Cheers

Jason
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

If you're using a metallic flake paint, then a matt lacquer might be better. Halfords do one off the shelf I think..if they're open that is.

If the silver paint's more flat, look for a satin finish. These finishes are harder to come by and most shops won't sell it.

Putting gloss lacquer on top of flakey metallic paint will make it very shiny and reflective and not like the original finish.
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

Thanks , I appreciate your reply ..

I was hoping for a matt silver and satin gloss ...

My daughter is picking up a matt silver and primer from Poundland ... Just to try out and for the price you don’t mind if it is no good...

Do you only rub down if there are blemishes...? Or do you do it after each application..?

I saw somewhere several years back.. I think maybe ‘Irish ham’ put his fascia /bezel in the oven to ‘bake’ I have to say I’m a bit wary of this...

How did you do yours..?

Thanks for your time..

Jason
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

Oh and a plasti-kote clear satin acrylic sealer..
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Be careful with pound shop paint, a lot of it is enamel, and you cannot paint over it with normal solvent based lacquer as otherwise there will be a reaction between the paint types.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

Hi Jason, You just cant keep away from them :-)

If you remember i bought your Maurer quite a few years ago now. and did the decal etc. George was the trailblazer on that at the time all i did was refine and take good care and plenty of time.

This thread will give you plenty of info> viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24246&hilit=Adams&start=120

As will this one > viewtopic.php?f=53&t=54432&hilit=Adams&start=15

Its very rewarding Jason, good luck with it.
Can't help but love an Adams.

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

JibberJabber wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 09:09 Thanks , I appreciate your reply ..

I was hoping for a matt silver and satin gloss ...

My daughter is picking up a matt silver and primer from Poundland ... Just to try out and for the price you don’t mind if it is no good...

Do you only rub down if there are blemishes...? Or do you do it after each application..?

I saw somewhere several years back.. I think maybe ‘Irish ham’ put his fascia /bezel in the oven to ‘bake’ I have to say I’m a bit wary of this...

How did you do yours..?

Thanks for your time..

Jason
Most of the info you need is now linked, so that helps matters.

With regards to rubbing down between coats, you can..but you don't always have to. You might wear through the freshly-coated paint if you're not careful, especially on any sharper corners.

If the paintwork has bad "orange peel", where the paint has tiny dimples in it, then gently rubbing it flat with 1000grit wet and dry abrasive paper whilst wettened will eliminate most of it, but this is usually done on high quality car paint jobs...or my own radios lol.

Rubbing down with a fine Scotchpad will very gently scour the painted surface which will "key" it or give it a matt surface for the next layer of paint to grip to.

So... you'd rub down the surround as it stands, fill any scratches and dents with car filler or plastic padding filler, rub down until perfect or add more filler until it is, prime, let dry for 24hrs, rub down very gently with Scotchpad, top coat, leave for 24hrs at least (longer in winter) rub down very gently if you really have to, lacquer, leave to harden for a few days - job done.

I've attached a couple of pic's of 2 of mine but I'm not sure if you can see the finish of the paint as I've had to lower the quality. Darker colours will usually show more imperfections.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

Thanks Gents.... I appreciate the help.

I’ll take it on board and start my Adams..

I’ll post some before , during and after pics.. Hopefully all goes well...

I was actually trawling through loads of pages too So thanks for the easy links Dougie.. I hope you are keeping well.... And the Adams yes I just can’t keep away.. As this will be personal I’ll be keeping it... He says..lol..

All the best fellas..

Jason
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

If you'll never sell it, then spray it to your own taste and even change the shade completely if you want to. I'm a bit mad, hence my nutty colour changes above.

Definitely keep us updated and add some pic's as you go through each stage. It'll help others.

There msy be a bit more help you can find if you search for the "Pimped up radios..." topic some of us added to a few years back. The computer-printed decals had just started showing their faces back then which made rub-off lettering like mine are done with pretty much obsolete.
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

:lol: .. Yeah your right.. I was just going to try and keep it at it’s original colour .... With added details like my call etc... to make it personal ... but yeah doing something out of the box is an idea...

You’ve done some great stuff over the years ... Definitely have plenty of patience... and all without the help of ‘Debs Decals’ ‘Gammaray’....

Trouble is all my other radios are black or grey.. Pretty boring I suppose... I’ve got a thing about the Pink Panther.. When I was young I thought he was pretty cool but clumsy .. (like me) .. But not so cool..lol.. Became my handle too... amongst others..

Pink would definitely reduce saleability... ;-)...

I’m gonna have a good read through the threads and decide.. What did you use for filler.. ? I was looking at some of the modelling fillers..

Cheers

Jason
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I always used Isopon car filler, although the newer "fine" stuff is probably a good idea. "Plastic Padding" do one which is supposedly good for on fibreglass and plastics although I've never used it. Getting the ratios right is a goid start, the equivalent to a golf ball of filler, to a pea of hardener as a rule in summer months. It goes off faster, the warmer it is weather-wise ;)
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

Ok .. Thanks for all the advice ...

I’ll let you know how it goes... Been in touch with Gammaray for a decal..

Cheers

Jason