Lincoln 2 Engineering Mode!

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
Radiohead01

Re: Lincoln 2 Engineering Mode!

Post by Radiohead01 »

Speaking of hidden menus etc, has anything been leaked about the programming cable or software?

It seems strange to leave the serial connection wired up on the radio for it serve no purpose. Would be nice if we could tweak a few settings, like mic gain, squelch etc.
James
26TM475
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Radiohead01 wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:The Lincoln 2 v1 wasn't good enogh neither was the v2 hence the reason they are onto v3,as for pushing button's push as many on a Lincoln 2 as you wan't but it won't make the missing components appear inside.
The V2 is good enough. The V3 is essentially a productionised V2 with a more positive channel selector.

V1 original production run
V2 President Modified
V3 Productionised V2, New channel selector

As for the service menu. It's inevitable that people will find these things. The end user is ultimately responsible if the make any adjustments. In many ways if it's in the public domain with the necessary warnings it may turn people away from fiddling.
I had a v1,was no point sending it back as it would have came back with a crap channel change or maybe you think turning it to the right and going down the frequency instead of up is what good radio's do,so in my mind the V2 is still pant's.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

Oh no the cat is out of the bag!

President Lincoln 2 service menu.: http://youtu.be/2g08VtSw23U

Let's see if he gets the same criticism as I got when I first revealed the engineering menu! ;)
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

After all this time does anyone know of anyone who did actually F**K up their radio with this engineering menu????

I don't!
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Yes, you owe me two hundred quid Del, mine now TXs on VHF air band and RXs on Long Wave, great for Test Match Special, but not good for a copy.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Admiral wrote:mine now TXs on VHF air band and RXs on Long Wave, great for Test Match Special, but not good for a copy.
Think that was fixed in V19 :)
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

I remember all the doom and gloom merchants saying that there would be loads of broken Lincoln 2's after I posted the original video with the engineering menu and all this time later I am still to hear of a single person who 'broke' their radio!!!!
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

Well if they'd broken their radios how would you hear them?

;) ;)
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

cjay wrote:Well if they'd broken their radios how would you hear them?

;) ;)
They'd get their old President Lincoln 1 out and give me a shout!
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Accessing engineering menus is all well and fine, if you actualy understand what it is you are adjusting, and whether the "perceived" benefit, is an actual one, or in truth often a functional detriment, and that doesn't necessarily mean " completely stuffing it up"!
The internet is awash with these tricks, and also awash with stories of folks doing this very thing, that have reduced the true capabilities of perfectly good radios, with their less than technicaly sound "seems better to me" approach!
If the tweeking was in all cases beneficial, and turned pigs ears into silk purses, the manufacturers would be on the bench doing it for you before sale, rendering the need to "have a go yourself" somewhat moot!
You would be surprised how many enterprising souls are convinced an 817 can be tweeked in the engineering menu to provide far more than the stock supplied 5 watts absolute maximum, of course they never let on how many PA boards they have got through with extended "sooped up" use! ;)
Also loads that have tweeked the "front ends", signals appear much stronger now, of course they never have the gear to measure the increased signal to noise ratio, so are blissfuly thinking two bars on the S meter equates to a "better" radio!
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

Nothing wrong with sharing information discovered about a radio's workings, it is a forum for after all.

There will always be those folk who THINK they know what they're doing and end up making a mess of their radio's just because they were armed with a little bit of information that instantly made them radio or electronics engineers! Thing is they then go on to blame somebody other than themselves for their disasters believing it was due to duff information they were given.

Folk want to twiddle with their stuff with wrong tools and little knowledge then that's their right and choice as it's their gear. If they break it though by doing so then they break it, their fault and nobody else. Like the old saying, "if all is working then leave well alone"

The clue is in a menu title "Engineer Mode" if you're not an engineer, or a person with a lot of radio repair experience and has access to PROPER test equipment, then don't mess with what you don't know anything or little about! However if you like to naff up radios then feel free to go ahead and knock yourself out, just don't go palming them off on auction sites later to unsuspecting buyers billing them as: "only used a few times / couple of months old / perfect working order etc" along with the weak laughable disclaimer added such as: "No returns due to screwdriver wizards"

Nuff said.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

Great fun reading through this old thread!

I still don't know anyone who messed up their radio via the engineering menu! 😂😂😂
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

SIX YEARS ON....

Still waiting to hear from ANYONE who messed up their radio via the Engineering Menu.......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Can't believe that radio's been out that long . Seems like yesterday ....
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

delboyonline wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 22:22 SIX YEARS ON....

Still waiting to hear from ANYONE who messed up their radio via the Engineering Menu.......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Agreed! but 6 years on who's going to admit to that on a public or private forum? they'd likely just pass it off in an endless eBay auction as ever subsequent owner finds out they've bought a turkey!

Saying that, I'd still agree its nice to have the info in the wild.
Can't help but love an Adams.