A (hopefully) simple question

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
Asches
New User
New User
Call Sign: KD2TJO

A (hopefully) simple question

Post by Asches »

I am still new to the whole modification aspect, and am still working on getting equipment together. I have gone through several tutorials, watched numerous videos, and there is one bit of information that is always left out that seems to be chalked up to "it's mentioned elsewhere" or is assumed to be common knowledge. That bit is this: Where do the probes need to be attached? Is there anywhere to find this bit of information?
Cousinjack

Re: A (hopefully) simple question

Post by Cousinjack »

Asches wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 06:43 I am still new to the whole modification aspect, and am still working on getting equipment together. I have gone through several tutorials, watched numerous videos, and there is one bit of information that is always left out that seems to be chalked up to "it's mentioned elsewhere" or is assumed to be common knowledge. That bit is this: Where do the probes need to be attached? Is there anywhere to find this bit of information?
Yeah, they never show you do they !!!
I think it’s like trade secrets 🤨

The obvious answer is that it depends what you are testing of course ! And what instrument ?

A service manual for the radio in question will help pinpoint .... and can usually be found online somewhere if you look hard enough ..

👍👍
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Asches wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 06:43Where do the probes need to be attached? Is there anywhere to find this bit of information?
In service manual.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

ch25 wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 11:40
Asches wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 06:43Where do the probes need to be attached? Is there anywhere to find this bit of information?
In service manual.
+1
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Anally, according to abductees that've ended up in UFO's ;)

That Richard guy on Youtube is maybe one to watch for that kind of thing (can't remember his callsign but he's got hundreds of radio videos on there) where he shows how to tune stuff and where to get the readings from.

However, I don't think he does much SSB-wise though.
Asches
New User
New User

Post by Asches »

{bnghd} I KNEW it had to be a simple answer, and one that was (literally in this case) staring me in the face! Been going nuts looking everywhere else for a couple weeks.
Cousinjack wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 09:55
Asches wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 06:43 I am still new to the whole modification aspect, and am still working on getting equipment together. I have gone through several tutorials, watched numerous videos, and there is one bit of information that is always left out that seems to be chalked up to "it's mentioned elsewhere" or is assumed to be common knowledge. That bit is this: Where do the probes need to be attached? Is there anywhere to find this bit of information?
Yeah, they never show you do they !!!
I think it’s like trade secrets 🤨

The obvious answer is that it depends what you are testing of course ! And what instrument ?

A service manual for the radio in question will help pinpoint .... and can usually be found online somewhere if you look hard enough ..

👍👍
Cousinjack

Post by Cousinjack »

What radio(‘s) are you working on ?
😊
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

erm...............

really ? you plan on repairing radios but don't know where to attach the probes..
have you read a service manual ?
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Asches
New User
New User

Post by Asches »

Starting off with a cheap Walmart Cobra as a guinea pig. Have a 29 LX and a Bearcat 980 I want to bring up (both are WAY below the limits from factory). Not looking to run amps, just want to run them at the legal limits. Also have a few old 29 LTDs hanging around that are not working that I've acquired from flea markets and yard sales. Just been wanting to learn how to work on them myself.
Cousinjack wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 10:25 What radio(‘s) are you working on ?
😊
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

The Collector wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 23:10 Anally, according to abductees that've ended up in UFO's ;)

That Richard guy on Youtube is maybe one to watch for that kind of thing (can't remember his callsign but he's got hundreds of radio videos on there) where he shows how to tune stuff and where to get the readings from.

That'll be Richard Shireby G0OJF.

His YouTube channel is UK FM CB Servicing.
It's generally only 27/81 sets he services but there's an occasional HF or 2m set.

Plenty of Fidelity 1000s to get your juices flowing! ;)
Auldgeek - Drew
Amateur Call GM0BRJ
TM Call 108TM144

I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Edd200sx
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: AMC45

Post by Edd200sx »

Auldgeek wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 20:44
The Collector wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 23:10 Anally, according to abductees that've ended up in UFO's ;)

That'll be Richard Shireby G0OJF.

His YouTube channel is UK FM CB Servicing.
It's generally only 27/81 sets he services but there's an occasional HF or 2m set.

Plenty of Fidelity 1000s to get your juices flowing! ;)
Don’t think he does any ssb Cb stuff

Any extras get ripped out of the 40ch stuff too
He even destroyed a catswhisker radio instead of fixing it.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Edd200sx wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 15:52
Don’t think he does any ssb Cb stuff

Any extras get ripped out of the 40ch stuff too
He even destroyed a catswhisker radio instead of fixing it.
No ssb whatsoever & as you say, all mods are removed regardless.
Auldgeek - Drew
Amateur Call GM0BRJ
TM Call 108TM144

I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think: