What does battery save mode do?

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
stinkybob
Regular
Regular

What does battery save mode do?

Post by stinkybob »

I have a CRT FP00 handheld, also known as a QUANGSHENG UV-R50, and the manual is a bit vague in places but it's basically a Chinese radio much like a Baofeng (same Chinese menu voice) but slightly better than the Baofengs I've used. I've actually found it to be a pretty good little radio for the price but I am having trouble figuring out a couple of menu items.

Menu 3 = "save mode". I have a choice of OFF or 1-4. I have no idea what this does.

Menu 17 = "S-code". My choices are 1-15. No idea what this is for either.

I've tried searching for explanations online but no joy. Anybody know what these things do?
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Re: What does battery save mode do?

Post by Mitch »

I'm going to take a guess here, battery save usually switches the receiver off and on to save the battery, option 4 will likely be on the least, just switching rx on for a fraction of a second every second, other options will vary the on/off time, and save mode off is rx on all the time. The only problem with batt save is that if someone calls and the rx is off you'll miss them, the caller needs to key up for a second or two before anything is heard.
S code is likely to be the squelch setting, 1 the least (most sensitive) and 15 the most (have to be strong signal to hear).
That's by best guess anyway :D
The perfect face for radio.
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello

Manual French

https://www.airetaventure.com/img_produ ... T-FP00.pdf

Manual English

http://www.servicedocs.com/ARTIKELEN/7200285060001.pdf

Menu 3 = "mode sauvegarde". J'ai le choix entre OFF ou 1-4

Battery saver: 1/2/3/4

@+
Claude
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 14CS06 on 17 Nov 2021, 12:45, edited 2 times in total.
Photo Collector CB RADIO
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello

Menu 17 = "Code S". Mes choix sont 1-15

DTMF codes for group call
it is possible to program 15 different codes by software

@+
Claude
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Photo Collector CB RADIO
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

I was wrong about s mode, so it looks a lot like a sell call, so you can talk to specific radios rather than all of them in range, I'd leave it off tbh, it's one of those things you're unlikely to ever use but it's there if you need it (with a lot of setting up first).
The perfect face for radio.